Theory and practice ratio

• Termis
      Termis
      Bronze
      So guys, I was wondering how much time do you put into theory and practice? What is the ratio? Should it be like 80/20 rule? 80 of practice and 20 of theory?

I'm currently relearning and rereading the basics after mass losses i got while moved up a limit. Seems my game has so many flaws so I'm back to hit the books. However I think only reading and taking a break from the tables (too afraid to play lol) ain't gonna be productive.
  • 3 replies
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      I'm about 50:50 or so at the moment, after about 6 months of 80:20 (play:study).

I've become of the view if you aren't playing for a living, and you're not playing at the limits you aspire to, you need to lift your study percentage significantly.

Ofc if you are playing full time, I suggest an hourly amount makes more sense rather than a proportion (eg 2 hours a day).
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      I think maybe it would be better meassure ratio not hours of practice to hours of study, but played hands to hours of study, because ones play much more hands at the same time than others.

So now I also would like to hear oppinions, how much time of studying would be best for let's say played 10K hands? Studying includes all - hand analising, wathcing videos, studying articles, attending coachings, etc.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      it is really a personal matter. And although you always need to work on your game, at different stage you need to have a different ratio. for example if you are crushing the current limit you might have to study a bit less but when you are in between limit (going up) you might need to study a bit more. When you are learning a new game you might need to study a lot more. When you have trouble with your mindset you probably need to put a lot of work in that area. So I think it is more about finding the right balance at the right time.

Regards

Thazar