Playing KK

• snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      Im playing NL5 and I wonder whats the best thing to do when you reraise with your KK and the initial raiser comes over the top and 3bets you? Is it better to just call OOP and see what the flop brings? IP, is it better to come over the top yourself? Im wondering because all too often I wind up against AA if I go over the top. Bad luck or generally bad play?
  • 7 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi snowylee!

Never fold KK preflop. Raise with it and go all-in with this hand preflop wherever you can. You have the second nuts: get the money in. You will very often win against QQ, AK, JJ and even worse hands. Sometimes you loose against aces, but that's just bad luck.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      Ok good, thats what I wanted to hear :) . And no ofc I would never fold them, just perhaps only call the re-reraise, but its good to know that I really did the right thing :) . Its easy to lose confidence when you constantly lose those situations hehe.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      I know. :)

To underline it: Never slow down with KK preflop. That means no calls preflop. If an ace comes up on the flop (which happens ~17% of the time) you don't know how good your hand really is. What I want to say is: bet and raise are the only options with KK preflop.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Trinchera
      Trinchera
      Bronze
      I dont think that is true for higher limits like NL200, most of them only go all in with KK and AA and if you have KK, its more possible that your oponent has AA, i think you can have a feeling about this, for example if UTG raises $8, i raise to $25 then he raises again to $80, you can have an easy flod. But if he goes all in instead of reraising to $80, you can have a crying call. I am talking only for NL200 and higher levels, can you tell me what do you think?
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Trinchera!

For higher limits like NL200/NL400 and NL600 that is correct. But on NL1k and above people even go all-in with AK, AQ etc. again because of their high level thinking and reverse-reverse-reverse thinking - the so called meta game. Because if you only go all-in with AA every player could easily read you and push you away from every hand except AA even with trash. So it depends on the limits you play and on the situation whether you should consider to fold KK preflop.

But because most of our players play at the micro and low limits I recommended not to fold KK preflop. If you reach a limit like NL200 you know that sometimes you can fold this hand. But on the low limits it's definitely -EV to fold KK preflop because the bad players on these limits even go all-in with TT-QQ, AK, AQ and even worse hands. Thoughts?

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      It's certainly possible that you could lose a little money by never folding KK preflop, but this should be at the absolute bottom of any player's list of leaks if it's there at all. You do need to either slow down with AA/KK or start 4-betting many other hands in some situations in order not to be exploitable at higher limits though. Not remotely a worry at NL5.
    • xordeh
      xordeh
      Bronze
      I don't think i would ever fold KK preflop, not even on NL 200
      off course your opponent could have AA, but thats just bad luck.

in my opinion NEVER fold KK preflop in cashgames.