This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Discounted / modified outs?

Bronze
      After re-studying the concept of playing draws profitably by reading the article called "Mathematics of poker: Odds and Outs" I have some specific questions concerning the topic of discounted/modified odds.
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1563/3/
      I understand everything perfectly until the "case studies" section, namely the examples 1, 2 and 5.

Example 1 - "However you cannot give yourself 12 outs anymore, as the pair in the community cards doesn’t make a full house probable, but possible. You still got 8 outs left, you’d need pot odds 5:1. Your decision is made. You fold. "

First of all, If my opponent had a fullhouse, I'd be drawing dead, and I can't seem to get why the probability alone of him getting a fullhouse in this example forces me to discount exactly 4 outs. Perhaps I should discount the ace of spades, because that would really be annoying, but otherwise I can't seem to get how one comes to the number of 4 discounted odds.

Example 2 - "You do have a flush draw, but since it is weak, you can only count on 6-7 outs."

How can the strength of my flushdraw affect the number of outs I have? And if it does, once again, how do we come to the 6-7 calculation? (moreover - when is it 6 and when 7?)

Example 5 - "You bet on the flop with an OESD; your opponent raises. You have 8 outs and two over cards, which allow you to add another 2-3 outs."

Why don't the overcards allow me to add 6 outs? I mean, if hitting one of them doesn't make my hand ahead of everyone else's, why count them at all? How do we come to 2-3 outs?

Another small one not related to this topic, but still a little bit confusing for a new bigstacker in Example 4 - since when is it ok to call from the small blind with 89o?

I realize there must be a reason for discounting a specific number of outs in certain situations, I just have trouble understanding the basis of some of these calculations. I mean, add or subtract one out and you have the wrong odds which leads to long term losses, so I thought it'd be useful for me to understand these situations correctly, and the article itself doesn't explain it too well. Can you help me figure this out?
  • 2 replies
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      if you are in a big pot with a draw your draw should to the nut or near it.

lets say you have 8 :spade: 9 :heart:

and the flop is 6 :diamond: 7 :club: A :diamond:

you have 8 outs ofr your nut straight

however
      if you suspect your opponent to have a flush draw you can not count the 5 :diamond: and T :diamond: as outs as they are giving your opponent a better hand.

so you would have 6 outs

if you place your opponent on Ax then you have the full 8 outs.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      To add to thazar's comment you are never putting your opponent on a single hand. You are putting him on a range of hands that changes as you observe his actions.

For example if you believe that your opponent is on a flush draw you would discount 2 outs for a total of 6 outs. However, if his range includes Ax hands then you wouldn't discount 2 outs. You'd discount 1 or less depending on what percentage of his range is Ax and what percentage is a flush draw.

So if you think 50% of his range is Ax and 50% is some random flush draw then you'd hit 7 outs exactly.

Mostly what you want to remember is that you have somewhere between 6-8 outs depending on what you think your opponents range is. The best way to get a feel for people's ranges is to plug their VP$IP and their PFR into Equilator and see what your equity is against their range.

I dare say in the no limit world straight up "counting outs" is an outdated concept from limit poker. Pot equity is much easier concept to apply.