Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      UTG1:
      $5.14
      Hero:
      $13.15

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.70 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with J:heart: , A:spade:
      UTG1 calls $0.04, 4 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, 3 folds, UTG1 calls $0.16.

Flop: ($0.46) 3:diamond: , 6:club: , 9:club: (2 players)
      UTG1 checks, Hero bets $0.33, UTG1 calls $0.33.

Turn: ($1.12) 2:diamond: (2 players)
      UTG1 checks, Hero bets $0.80, UTG1 calls $0.80.

River: ($2.72) 9:diamond: (2 players)
      UTG1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $2.72

Is it wrong to shoot 2nd barrel in that spot? Somehow I was expecting him to be drawing. It really is mostly just a guessing game for me. 2nd barrel works 50/50
  • 2 replies
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Second barrelling is an option – but I think it's better to check behind here most of the time. This guy is prob never bluffing so you can make a safe river fold if he bets.

A lot of his preflop range is going to be speculative stuff. Think he has a medium strength made hand or draw after check/calling the flop. The turn isn't an ideal barrel card, since it's harder to fold the made hand percentage of his range.

Nonetheless, you have the best hand a decent portion of the time. Sometimes he has 6x, 55 and will call flop and fold turn. Sometimes he has 9x, 88, TT and will call down if you barrel, but you still have 6 outs to improve.

Don't mind a second barrel if he is only calling turn with 9x, TT and draws, + also calling weaker made hands on the flop. Hard to really know what he is doing without reads. Make a note if you see him folding a lot on blank turns.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by johnbeattie85
      Second barrelling is an option – but I think it's better to check behind here most of the time. This guy is prob never bluffing so you can make a safe river fold if he bets.

A lot of his preflop range is going to be speculative stuff. Think he has a medium strength made hand or draw after check/calling the flop. The turn isn't an ideal barrel card, since it's harder to fold the made hand percentage of his range.

Nonetheless, you have the best hand a decent portion of the time. Sometimes he has 6x, 55 and will call flop and fold turn. Sometimes he has 9x, 88, TT and will call down if you barrel, but you still have 6 outs to improve.

Don't mind a second barrel if he is only calling turn with 9x, TT and draws, + also calling weaker made hands on the flop. Hard to really know what he is doing without reads. Make a note if you see him folding a lot on blank turns.
      I agree. Tho I would advice a tad stronger not to 2nd barrel there, it's just a horrible spot for it overall. He won't ever fold 9x/TT+, doubtful he'll fold 88 either, 77/6x either had a pair and a straight draw on the flop to begin with or picked up a gutshot on that turn, clubs/87 are never folding either. If he was peeling with some baby Ax he also picked up some gutshot or a pair.

You're way better off checking back on that card, some good things can still happen. He won't bluff at you that often on the river with worse hands so you can sometimes see as showdown and be good, if you know he's bluffing busted draws you can pick them off with AJ-high because these players usually aren't capable of valuebetting smallish one pair hands. You can improve and valuebet him again, sometimes you both improve at the same time and you can get a huge valuebet out of him.

Hope it helps.