[NL2-NL10] NL5 AJs missed flop

• Termis
      Known players:

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.70 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:heart: , J:heart:
      3 folds, MP2 calls $0.04, MP3 calls $0.04, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.24, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.54) T:club: , 5:club: , 5:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.36, MP3 calls $0.36.

Turn: ($1.26) 9:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $0.37, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $1.63

I really have no idea how to deal with these situations. Sometimes it just seems many people float and bet light to steal pot, however when i try to get to showdown they always got some top-mid pair and never giving up for 3bets as well
  • 2 replies
    • kymupa
      You can easily be ahead in this situation but it's not very profitable to try it. He won't get away of any ten or nine. He would go after a flush draw. This means that you have only 4 clear outs against him. On these limits second barrel does not work very good. When they have paid you once thew won't fold.
      And sometimes you can try to raise it to $1,45 on the turn against this bets. But it's quite dangerous.
    • MaestroOfZerg

Hard to say, just experiment with it. If you don't try it, how else are you going to know? Some fish will indeed peel almost any flop but fold to almost any turn (i've seen up to like 10% fold to flop c-bet, 85% fold to turn c-bet discrepancies), making a 2nd barrel potentially profitable as a pure bluff. Checking your HUD for those stats might prove useful when you encounter that type of player.

You can also c-bet smaller with air to begin with if they don't fold much to c-bets, it'll make it cheaper for you overall, both for your c-bets in themselves and for your second barrels when you choose to fire some.

Don't start check/raising and stuff, it just looks too weird to most players and they won't fold anyway.

Hope it helps.