[NL2-NL10] KK against flop reraise - NL5

• woopstash
      woopstash
      Bronze
      Villan is fairly tight aggressive from what I had seen so far.

I realize the c-bet was a complete fail. It's just barely 1/2 pot, and should've probably been 2/3 or 3/4. Either that or I just check on a board with both SD and FD.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $5.13
      CO:
      $14.71
      BU:
      $2.32
      SB:
      $1.11
      BB:
      $2.71
      UTG1:
      $4.67
      UTG2:
      $5.14
      MP1(Hero):
      $6.19
      MP2:
      $4.57

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K, K.
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, 2 folds, CO calls $0.20, 3 folds.

Flop: ($0.47) A, 2, 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.25, CO raises to $1.22, Hero folds, CO gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.72.
  • 3 replies
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Betting the flop for value is fine. Don't expect that many aces in his range (maybe good suited aces, AQo+), and lots of worse hands will call IP since your usually cbeting 100% here. Would def make it at least 2/3-3/4 pot, since you're just asking to get raised making such a weak bet. It's hard to continue when raised since we have no idea what to do on the turn. Lots of cards that give him the best hand, or fold equity to keep bluffing us + he can easily have a set, AK, AQ. I wouldn't check flop since there is value in betting and it will be very hard to showdown without good reads.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by johnbeattie85
      Betting the flop for value is fine. Don't expect that many aces in his range (maybe good suited aces, AQo+), and lots of worse hands will call IP since your usually cbeting 100% here. Would def make it at least 2/3-3/4 pot, since you're just asking to get raised making such a weak bet. It's hard to continue when raised since we have no idea what to do on the turn. Lots of cards that give him the best hand, or fold equity to keep bluffing us + he can easily have a set, AK, AQ. I wouldn't check flop since there is value in betting and it will be very hard to showdown without good reads.
      I very much agree with what I bolded up, tho depending on the player the italic parts are a bit dicey.

Most tags at nl5 aren't yet thinking enough for them to anticipate you have air a lot thus resulting in them calling c-bets with pocket pairs on A-high flops, they're often just scared of the A because you can very likely have it and so they give up.

Also on the same level they aren't gutsy enough to often bluff at you with garbage when you announce you don't have Ax by checking that flop, so checking isn't as bad as you pictured it in my opinion, tho you're still probably better off going for a healthy c-bet/fold to avoid tricky decisions.

Hope it helps.
    • woopstash
      woopstash
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice. I folded simply because I've been reading that if your going to call only to fold to further aggression on later streets, that you may as well fold right away. Not only that, but on the turn I'm OOP again so I'll either have to bet/fold or check/fold if my hand is unimproved (which is very likely).