[NL2-NL10] NL10 openraise w small deviation

• Bubalus
      Bubalus
      Bronze
      I had no special reads when I decided to deviate from SHC. I didn`t know if the two ss guys play with strategy or not. However all those three players seemed passive, because no openraises or calls to raise I can remember.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP1:
      $2.82
      MP2:
      $2.00
      MP3:
      $2.47
      CO(Hero):
      $2.00
      BU:
      $10.00
      SB:
      $1.75
      BB:
      $2.00
      UTG1:
      $10.02
      UTG2:
      $4.42

Preflop: Hero is CO with T, A.
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, 3 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.15.
  • 8 replies
    • Aimboy
      Aimboy
      Bronze
      Yes, its okay to open raise from late position with AT.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey Bubalus,

nice hand. ATs is strong enough to openraise from LP and if blinds seem to be tight and not defend then it's even better. Also, if they're very tight you might want to open raise even looser and decrease your raise sizes to 3BB + 1BB so it becomes cheaper for you when they have a good hand and play back at you, because you will most of the time have to give it up preflop.

Regards,
      burek2000
    • MancaMulas
      MancaMulas
      Bronze
      Originally posted by burek2000
      Hey Bubalus,

nice hand. ATs is strong enough to openraise from LP and if blinds seem to be tight and not defend then it's even better. Also, if they're very tight you might want to open raise even looser and decrease your raise sizes to 3BB + 1BB so it becomes cheaper for you when they have a good hand and play back at you, because you will most of the time have to give it up preflop.

Regards,
      burek2000
      but in NL10 shouldn't we follow the SHC?
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MancaMulas
      Originally posted by burek2000
      Hey Bubalus,

Regards,
      burek2000
      but in NL10 shouldn't we follow the SHC?
      Following the SHC is of course a good way for a beginner, but one shouldn't be limited to SHC alone just because it's NL10, because even on lower limits you can improve your winrate if you advance beyond the strict basic SSS. When you feel comfortable to add some moves to your game you should do it, but you have to know what you're doing. For example here, ATs is strong enough to play it although it's not listed in basic SHC.
    • mineriva
      mineriva
      Bronze
      The important aspect here imho is the fact there there is no limper(s). It is a steal raise and ATs from CO is good enough as a Steal raise.

The SHC only contains Value Raises.
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      I watched a SSS video a while ago and the video creator seemed to think that AT is fine for a raise in late position, and kept saying that AT is actually on the SHC. I think it was AK or someone who made the video, but I can't remember. I kept sitting there thinking yeah its fine for the raise but it isn't on the SHC...
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      There are many hands you can steal(openraise late position) with, but the fact is the weaker the hand the more marginal spots you'll face and marginal spots are dangerous for beginners. As you feel more comfortable and skilled you can loosen up and you'll find for yourself which hands you like to steal with, which work good for you. However, AT is still very strong hand and is a good start to loosening up for a new player.
    • Asaf92
      Asaf92
      Bronze
      Guys, AT is IN the SHC (for LP and blinds).
      There was no deviation here...