[NL2-NL10] JJ UTG2 - Nl5

• woopstash
      woopstash
      Bronze
      My thoughts:
      Preflop checks out fine...

Post flop:
      I bet pot size because of the heavy draws on the board. I get flat called which i was hoping just the usual calling with overcards on an 8-high board that seems so common at these levels.

Turn:
      Another 8. Either the guy had 88 and was slowplaying or I figure he doesn't have an 8 at all, and thus, the turn doesn't really improve any hand.
      Because all the draws are still out there, I pot sized bet another one to get the chasers to fold.

River: 9c. This completes a flush draw but I'm already pot commited and have 2 pair, and believe this to be the best hand. I shove to not give the villain the chance to bluff the flush (if he didn't have it).

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      UTG1:
      $5.00
      UTG2(Hero):
      $6.92
      MP1:
      $6.30
      MP2:
      $4.11
      MP3:
      $4.63
      CO:
      $0.60
      BU:
      $7.60
      SB:
      $5.00
      BB:
      $6.09

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with J, J.
      UTG1 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.20, 2 folds, BU calls $0.20, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.67) 8, 7, 6 (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.67, MP2 folds, BU calls $0.67.

Turn: ($2.01) 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.01, BU raises to $4.02, Hero calls $2.01.

River: ($10.05) 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.03, BU calls $2.03.

Final Pot: $14.11.

Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, jacks and eights(Js Jc).
      BU shows a straight, ten high(Ts 8d).

BU wins with a straight, ten high(Ts 8d).
  • 3 replies
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Flop: 3/4-pot is fine.

Turn: I wouldn't assume he can never have an eight. Remember that the average player has a very wide preflop range that can include a lot of 8x speculative type hands. Or even junk 8x depending on how bad they are. Vs a TAG the assumption is pretty good though.

His flop calling range is mainly 8x, 99-TT, draws, mid pair with gutshot, bottom two, etc. You def have a value bet on the turn. I would normally be planning to bet/fold, since I don't expect an unknown to play call flop / raise turn with draws, or raise for value with worse hands. Would only make it like 2/3-3/4 pot if bet/folding.

If you think he is capable of raising turn with draws or 99, TT - just bet/shove as he will have to call it off and you won't be faced with a hard river decision.

River: Not really sure. As played I am almost check/folding despite pot commitment and epic odds. River is the worst card in the deck, you're pretty much behind his entire range. I guess you have to call in case he has 9x, or random stuff. But it's better not to be in this spot.
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Preflop you can make it 0,25 too beacause there are 7 players after you and you will be of position. On the flop you can make it about 0,5 but this is fine too. I would make it about 1,4 on the turn and fold to any raise because there is not a single hand that you can beat - you can beat only a bluff. T9 beats you, 8x beats you, 59 beats you. You may be having some value only against 99 TT but i really don't think TT will just call on the flop and raise the turn. On the river you have about $2 in a pot of $10 and now you can't beat anything - the flush came out, straight came out, and i don't think you are ahead. You can even fold it.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by johnbeattie85
      Flop: 3/4-pot is fine.

Turn: I wouldn't assume he can never have an eight. Remember that the average player has a very wide preflop range that can include a lot of 8x speculative type hands. Or even junk 8x depending on how bad they are. Vs a TAG the assumption is pretty good though.

His flop calling range is mainly 8x, 99-TT, draws, mid pair with gutshot, bottom two, etc. You def have a value bet on the turn. I would normally be planning to bet/fold, since I don't expect an unknown to play call flop / raise turn with draws, or raise for value with worse hands. Would only make it like 2/3-3/4 pot if bet/folding.

If you think he is capable of raising turn with draws or 99, TT - just bet/shove as he will have to call it off and you won't be faced with a hard river decision.

River: Not really sure. As played I am almost check/folding despite pot commitment and epic odds. River is the worst card in the deck, you're pretty much behind his entire range. I guess you have to call in case he has 9x, or random stuff. But it's better not to be in this spot.

Wholeheartedly agreed. Tho if you think he can have 9x on the river (which i don't, it's a big stretch against a call flop minraise turn line on that board, and even if he does, he must have it often to balance for the times he has any of tons of hands that beat you on the river, even when getting 6:1 on a call) then shoving yourself is better, since that's pretty much the only hand you still beat and he won't bet it himself on that board, which means everything he bets when you check to him destroys JJ.

Hope it helps.