a journey in heads-up sng 2-7 no limit single draw

• Moonwolf52000
      Moonwolf52000
      Bronze
      Ok so where to start.... I'm Jason, 25 years old (yea I'm 1/4 of a century already :P ), From the great white north that is Canada in the beautiful city of Montreal. I joined pokerstrategy a while ago and got the starting capital on fulltilt and like many many of us didn't follow bankroll managment. I was playing way over my limits and ended up busto like many of us.

Some time passed and played on my existing account on pokerstars. did sng for a while at the 1$ level and got tired of the donks going all in with nothing ending up sucking out on me so moved up where they would respect my raises. Really bad idea, I got owned big time

note to self follow bankroll managment

note to others you will go broke if you don't follow my note to self :f_cool:

And now here we are in 2010 and in december I learned a new game no limit 2-7 single draw

for those of you who don't know the game it's actually quite simple you get five cards and you can draw only once your goal is to have a low hand like 87432 or j9876

the best hand would be 75432
      a pair should be folded after the draw in general

so now my BR is at a whooping 41.16$ so I can only play the 2$ sng heads-up until I reach the 200$ level since i would have 40 buy-in for the 5$ ones it is an agressive approach but something that should be done since the rake goes from 10% to 5% and the win rate needed to beat the rake goes from 55% to 52.5%. now afterwards to move up I would play with a 100 buy for the next level

my win rate after 110 games (I know small sample) 67% 74 win/ 36 losses

Now I can only play 1 table at a time because I'm visually impaired... (legally blind too) so my progress will be slow going but little by little I'll be making my way up the limits and hopefully be able to have a 2nd income because of it

if you have any questions regarding the game feel free to post your questions

short term goals
      maintain my blog
      continue to be a winning player at my level in the next 100 games
      continue making notes on players
      continue to study my game and plugs any leaks found

not so short term goals
      move up to the 5$ level 200$ BR needed
      maintain the blog and continue to answer questions
      continue to study my games and plug leaks
      update notes on players

long term goals
      be at the 10$ level 1000$ BR needed
      continue to study my game and plug leaks
      study players

off to the tables

Jason aka moonwolf
  • 32 replies
    • Moonwolf52000
      Moonwolf52000
      Bronze
      so after day 1

10 heads-up

6 win 4 losses

for a new bankroll of 43.16$ :)

slowly but surely. had some juicy fish coming in on my table today... there was this one guy who really played like he had no clue as to waht he was doing. calling my raises and then discarding all his cards and then calling me again with a pair...

the one thing you have to understand in this game is that you shouldn't call a bet with a pair after the draw you can reraise if you think the guy is bluffing but don't call.

most hands that will win you money in heads-up is a 10 high so 109842 but even then you want to be careful because the other could have 108765 in which case you lose.

but the lower the better and be willing to go all in when you have an 87543 or better

if I make the comparison from hold em

it would go like this

high card= k10657 and worse
      a low one pair= q10875
      middle pair = j10862
      high pair = j9 or j8 765
      two pair = 108765
      set = 98732
      straight = 97654
      flush = 96543
      full house = 87643 or 87432
      quads = 85432
      straight flush= 76432
      royal flush aka the NUTS =75432

hope that helps

moonwolf
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Cool, now there's a type of poker not many people play :f_p: Do you have any trouble finding action or are there lots of people playing these sngs?

GL anyway :f_thumbsup:
    • Moonwolf52000
      Moonwolf52000
      Bronze
      I can't multitable because of my vision but from the amount of time it takes to have action at the 2$ level I guess someone could play 4 at a time

you have to choose which cards to draw too so it makes it harder to have more.

I doubt you could do the same at the 5 and 10$ levels though... not popular enough like the ring game as of right now I see one table full one half full and that's at the 25/50 nl which is the minimum. you have to wait for the evening EST if you want to be higher up
    • Moonwolf52000
      Moonwolf52000
      Bronze
      Day 2.

8 heads up

6 win 2 losses. :)

bankroll sit at 49.56$ little by little +6.4$ for the day :f_biggrin:

my 2 losses... one was a lucky guy who luckboxed his way to victory.... everytime he would get something better

the other one... I have to admit he was way better skilled than me... made a note on him though... I don't want to face tough people at 2$ it's just a waste of time lol when there's plenty of fish at this level

I really wonder what it's going to be like at the 5$ level... I wish i could take a shot there but since I can't deposit anything... bills to pay rent food and the rest... I guess I'll have to practise my patience... and i do believe that if I can stick to my BRM I'll end up a success since I'll have worked on my patience a whole lot...

see you at the next update
    • Irooz
      Irooz
      Bronze
    • Moonwolf52000
      Moonwolf52000
      Bronze
      ok so day 3....

um I did 16 sng today... and the results are in... I'm 50 effing% got donks luckboxing me . stallers who were just taking their sweet time to have the blinds increase so that it becomes a luck fest. and some people that I didn't want to face because they were of actual skill of mine or better.

the games I won were either really a mix of easy and tough some people were really throwing their money away in my face and others really wanted to win so it was nice and challenging

the thing that really bothers me in all this is that all day it was win lose 1 win 2 lose 3 win 2 lose 1 ... so I couldn't really call it quits or anything because I was always breakeven and I wanted to beat the rake...

and I was taking breaks most of the time in between..

in other news I had a nice surprise last night someone sent me 5$ on Pokerstars because of the math I did when he asked for his hourly rate for the month on Pokerstars... he wanted to know how much he did with his bonuses that he bought.

so at the end of the day my bankroll stands at 51.36$ so +1.80$ from yesterday thanks to the guy on 2+2 for that gift.

see ya tomorrow
    • Moonwolf52000
      Moonwolf52000
      Bronze
      Day 4

I had a great day today... made 16 hu sng... and the final tally was 11 win 5 losses. so a nice little day.

bankroll si now at 60.16$ !! +8.80... :f_cool:

my boyfriend is having his weekend tomorrow and friday so no poker for me... more loving to give him :f_love:

see you on saturday

moonwolf
    • Moonwolf52000
      Moonwolf52000
      Bronze
      day 5... a bad start and a better finish

before lunch I was 2 win 4 losses.. all of them were hard matches... took at least 25 minutes each

thenI took a break, ate, took a nice espresso from my Nespresso machine and off to the tables I went afterwards all fresh :)

results 7 win in a row... go me :D

so 13 heads up 9 win 4 losses

new bankroll 67.56$.

so after a week..

started at 41.16$ after a week a 26.40$ profit not too bad when you think no cash games and no sng.

if everything goes the way it goes, I should be able to move up around april, if it takes longer then so be it.

see you on the next update

Moonwolf
    • Moonwolf52000
      Moonwolf52000
      Bronze
      day 6

a little session with only 10 heads-up... man I love sundays lol 8 win 2 losses. I had to work for 2 of my wins and got owned on 1 loss. The other just got lucky, but hey it has to happen from time to time

the rest was just maniacs pushing all in or just calling station calling with full houses two pair and big pairs... which is complete trash in this game

you can bluff with trash but don't call with them...that's like one of the poker 101 lesson in all forms of poker.

so after six days bankroll started at 41.16... now sits at 77.56$ so +26.40

total sng heads-up since the blog started
      48 win 25 losses out of 73 heads-up which gives me a 65% win average which I do believe is doing good not great but good. of course my sample size is still quite low but you gotta start somewhere.

if you have any questions feel free to ask :)

moonwolf
    • Moonwolf52000
      Moonwolf52000
      Bronze
      day 7

I had a good day today, playing 12 heads-up and being 9 win 3 losses it isn't a bad day :D

bankroll stands at 87.16 :)

faced so many different people from donks to good players and I had one guy who played like a donk at first and then played good ...

one of the most important things when you play any kind of games is just to be relaxed and enjoying what you do... guess that's one of the reason why I'm successful so far... and now with 40 buy in for my level i don't even feel any kind of pressure of scared money and i'm proud of the fact that I stayed on the same game all the time... no cash games no sng and no moving up... I'm sticking to BRM :D

now must head to my real job... doing surveys... would you want to do one with me for 30 minutes ? :P

one day i'll make more than this job... until then.... must pay bills and eat and rent.

see you tomorrow

moonwolf
    • richard1817
      richard1817
      Bronze
      how big is your edge in this game ? nlhe might dry up one day always good to look in2 other games and exploit them
    • Moonwolf52000
      Moonwolf52000
      Bronze
      Originally posted by richard1817
      how big is your edge in this game ? nlhe might dry up one day always good to look in2 other games and exploit them
      I can only talk for the micro limits so far but against people that you just know after 2 3 hands that they have no clue about the game I would say I'm winning 95% of the games , against regs I just need to adjust to their calling range and betting patterns and I'll win 60% of the games... as of right now when I face a tough guy in 2-7 and it last for 40 minutes I just tell him ''we shouldn't play each other at that level waste of easy money with all the fishes out there..'' and they agree most of the time and I never face them anymore sometimes they avoid me or I avoid them lol

I don't mind having a tough opponent but please let it be for more than 1.80$ of profit.

My edge should increase over time since I'm always checking what hands I played what i got called with, what to do against this or that player. It's not like a SNG where you can just have a gameplan and stick to it and you'll win more often than not. You have to adapt to the person you're facing and make him play your game.

hope that helps

moonwolf
    • Moonwolf52000
      Moonwolf52000
      Bronze
      day 8

activate boomswitch... 11 win 1 loss lol. Seriously it has been way too easy today... I took the time to check the stats of regs at the higher buy-in and they all have roughly between 56 to 63% win rate. So my goal when I move up is to be better than that :P seriously though i just hope to be able to continue what i'm doing right and plugging my leaks and the rest will come by itself

new bankroll stands at 106.56... last time I had a 3 digits bankroll was when i didn't follow BRM and satellite my way to the sunday million and cashing it for 350 something. I cashed out 300 or so and the rest went in flames...

I actually feel great achieving my bankroll without taking shots and just let it grow little by little...

I will admit that I'm tempted to move up but yet at the same time I just know I wouldn't feel comfy with only a 20 buy-in for the next level I would need at least 40 for the 5$ and probably 100 for the 10$ though i might just decide to use 50 buy in for the 10$... but hey it's still a long way. I'm just halfway to my goal so one step at a time.

ttyl

moonwolf
    • Moonwolf52000
      Moonwolf52000
      Bronze
      ok s o quick update on the day 9 and day 10

day ended up being a small sample in which I only played skille players and ended up 4 wins 3 loss,

that was on tuesday then took our weekend off. :)

now yesterday. I love friday nights.. 12-4... it got so easy with some people they were just throwing money at money... why isn't this a cash game... and I was just in my own little world at one point.. music turned on and you're singing along and you're just reacting on instinct... that was a nice little feeling where you don't really think you'll make stupid mistake... you'll still makes some but not the big bad costly mistakes that didn't gave you anything... no information whatsover.

new bankroll 122.16

Moonwolf
    • Moonwolf52000
      Moonwolf52000
      Bronze
      ok so now day 11 and 12

on day 11 I ended up 6 and 4 for a new bankroll of 124.16... I got some cray people who wanted to flip right from the get go... and i lost those flips and my other matches were long. Ended up winning but I was actually dissapointed at my results because i knew I was better than some of them but i try to buff them when i knew better than to bluff calling station who are very loose in their callling requirements. i'll have to work on that

now day 12 (yesterday sunday... pokerstars has been kind to me... 13 win and 3 losses. ok I got like 5 win out of people who had no clue what to do and one just sat out for the whole game..the rest were good matches where i got lucky in some cases and in others I outplayed them. :)

new bankroll sits now at 140.96$ :D

I said I would move up when i have 200$ but I didn't count the rake though so now new goal to move up is 210$ which would give me 40 real BI for the 5$ and I will move down if i go down to 150$

so 59$ to go :)

if any of you wants to try your hand at the game in heads-up one important thing to remember is 1 a hand like a 108654 will give you most of the small pots and if your opponent draws more cards than you it's an indication of weakness so to bet 1 or 2 big blind and he will fold if he knows what he's doing.

the 2nd most important thing is to adapt yourself to your opponents and try to learn his calling range... someone who calls with a q 10 something a couple of times can be perceived as weak and you don't want to bluff those people because they'll just hang themselves... on the other hand someone who calls with 109 something all the time but folds the rest you want to bluff a little not too much but enough to make it worth it.

I'll give a couple of sample hands in the next update

see ya next time

Moonwolf
    • Dendra
      Dendra
      Bronze
      wow, impressive :D never thought much about other games, besides PLO,but 2-7 seems interesting hehe, might as well start playing that game one day because of you :D gl at the table and have fun :)
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      very interesting blog.

Would you mind sharing your screenname? I Started playing the games myself and would like to avoid you ;)
    • Moonwolf52000
      Moonwolf52000
      Bronze
      ok so day 13 and 14

day 13 I got 9 win 6 loss good for a whooping 143.96 +3$ from the day before. I'm facing more regs it seems and struggling at times.

day 14. 12 win and 7 losses and even though it is a good result i am dissapointed... i was 8 and 1 before things started going downhill.. but hey it happens variance is a bitchy at times. that gave me a total of 150.16 so plus 6.20$

only 60$ to go

and screename is wolfie52000 on pokerstars.

another day grinding the tables

tale care

moonwolf
    • Moonwolf52000
      Moonwolf52000
      Bronze
      day 15

humm small day only 10 heads-up decided to call it quits while I was ahead.

9 win and 1 loss

new bankroll stands at 164.16$

so after 15 days I'm 133 win 57 loss out of 190 games since I began my blog not bad only a 70% winrate :)

so on my goals

being a winner after 100 games... err I guess i can say I'm good at my level :s_cool:
      updating notes.. always do and add new one to new players and makes changes to the players i face time and time agian

slowly getting to the 5$ bankroll guide I fixed myself

only 45.84 to go

ttyl

moonwolf