No trust

• Grums2k
      Grums2k
      Bronze
      Im having a slight downswing, i am however on the plus side for this month. Mainly due to my excellent SNG results. Im so much better at SNG's. I find them simple to play. Same goes for tournaments. I think i find it simpler because i can never tilt in a tournament. If i go out or take a beat, i always feel like i played my best. When it comes to cash games, i stop trusting my instincts.

I just lost a full buy in with AK. The board was 2 3 K rainbow and he limped called from utg preflop. i bet pot, he reraises, now im starting to sense that something is wrong, very wrong. It was just a feeling i got. I get it sometimes. It didnt add up. And my tracker stats and my own reads indicated that he is no fish. For a breif moment i actually put him on 22 or 33. There is no way that player would limp from UTG with K J, KQ, K10. He would not limp A K. He knows im solid. I cant put him on a bluff. But still i call and he shows 33.

This has been going on for a bit. Ive lost faith and confidence. I have a very good instinct. But i stop following it in the heat of the moment when i run bad.

SNG's are more profitable for me, there is no doubt about that. And i can win a lot at the level i play at in cash games. But i run low in confidence.

Just had to write and cool off.

May lady luck be with you,
      Mike
  • 6 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Grums2k!

If you think you are better in SNGs and tournaments you should play them. At the moment we are working on a completely new tournament area. We hope that we can offer you a lot more strategy articles in the near future.

Concerning your AK hand: AK is a very tricky hand in NL. On a board like this I wouldn't go broke. Just fold after his raise. And go with your instincts. If you have a read: use it to make the best of it.

Maybe it helps if you read some of our psychology articles to improve your psychological skills.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Grums2k
      Grums2k
      Bronze
      Its true that i should play them, and i do! But i see poker as more than winning money, its also a challange to beat others and to improve yourself, emotionally.

Im looking forward to the tournament area!

AK is tricky and i should not have lost my money in that spot. Normally i wouldnt but frustration is my biggest enemy atm. I will look through the articles.

Thank you for your time,
      Mike
    • sismis
      sismis
      Bronze
      Thinking about beating someone is not correct. Low limits cash game poker is just about having patience and disipline (trust me i just lost to much money with bad play today). Ofc if you are sure you can outplay someone thats great but at small stakes its not really possible - you just need best hand which top pair top kicker usually isnt in a big pot.
    • Grums2k
      Grums2k
      Bronze
      You are absoletely correct, chasing isnt good at all! This is something i need to work on. The frustration! I've taken a few days off, reading books and gonna top that off with reading the psychology section. Also hopeing that the points will update soon so i can access the silver section and all those vids and strats.

Live game tomorrow, with fish only :D

Edit: Alot of the impatience and frustration comes from playing a too low level. My roll isnt that big yet and the kind of money i play for makes the game very unintressting. But its a grind and ill calm down and get more disciplined.
    • Laurenz1988
      Laurenz1988
      Bronze
      Never go broke on a pair!
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      I experience the same thing. Cash games are profitable for me, but not as much as S&G's, and especially not as much as in tournaments. There is a HUGE difference between a tournament and a cashgame. Why do I find the tournaments better:

Frustration: while this happened to me on cashgames, tournaments just totally calm me down, because of the cosiness of the format. It almost reminds me of playing scrabble.

Strategy: tournaments give you a fixed time limit in which you have to make a move (to avoid going all in on a blind, if possible a couple of rounds ahead of that point). That means you need more opportunism, instinct and originality.

Fun: This seems like an unimportant factor, but i believe it is NOT. Because it is more fun to play a tournament, a gambler, who just left the roulette table for a game of poker, is more likely to try a tournament, so he can win a very big pot.

There are a couple of players who reach the top in cash games and tournaments, but there are much more players with a specialty. I actually read that in an article of a famous tournament player (can's remember the name) who decided 20 player s&g's where his favorite. It could even be that close.

Be carefull though with playing your 50$ on the mtt's immediately, a downswing could be painful. Try S'G for a while at a site with a small rake in and long bb-levels.

Good luck