This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

No trust

• Grums2k
      Grums2k
      Bronze
      Im having a slight downswing, i am however on the plus side for this month. Mainly due to my excellent SNG results. Im so much better at SNG's. I find them simple to play. Same goes for tournaments. I think i find it simpler because i can never tilt in a tournament. If i go out or take a beat, i always feel like i played my best. When it comes to cash games, i stop trusting my instincts.

I just lost a full buy in with AK. The board was 2 3 K rainbow and he limped called from utg preflop. i bet pot, he reraises, now im starting to sense that something is wrong, very wrong. It was just a feeling i got. I get it sometimes. It didnt add up. And my tracker stats and my own reads indicated that he is no fish. For a breif moment i actually put him on 22 or 33. There is no way that player would limp from UTG with K J, KQ, K10. He would not limp A K. He knows im solid. I cant put him on a bluff. But still i call and he shows 33.

This has been going on for a bit. Ive lost faith and confidence. I have a very good instinct. But i stop following it in the heat of the moment when i run bad.

SNG's are more profitable for me, there is no doubt about that. And i can win a lot at the level i play at in cash games. But i run low in confidence.

Just had to write and cool off.

May lady luck be with you,
      Mike
  • 6 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Grums2k!

If you think you are better in SNGs and tournaments you should play them. At the moment we are working on a completely new tournament area. We hope that we can offer you a lot more strategy articles in the near future.

Concerning your AK hand: AK is a very tricky hand in NL. On a board like this I wouldn't go broke. Just fold after his raise. And go with your instincts. If you have a read: use it to make the best of it.

Maybe it helps if you read some of our psychology articles to improve your psychological skills.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Grums2k
      Grums2k
      Bronze
      Its true that i should play them, and i do! But i see poker as more than winning money, its also a challange to beat others and to improve yourself, emotionally.

Im looking forward to the tournament area!

AK is tricky and i should not have lost my money in that spot. Normally i wouldnt but frustration is my biggest enemy atm. I will look through the articles.

Thank you for your time,
      Mike
    • sismis
      sismis
      Bronze
      Thinking about beating someone is not correct. Low limits cash game poker is just about having patience and disipline (trust me i just lost to much money with bad play today). Ofc if you are sure you can outplay someone thats great but at small stakes its not really possible - you just need best hand which top pair top kicker usually isnt in a big pot.
    • Grums2k
      Grums2k
      Bronze
      You are absoletely correct, chasing isnt good at all! This is something i need to work on. The frustration! I've taken a few days off, reading books and gonna top that off with reading the psychology section. Also hopeing that the points will update soon so i can access the silver section and all those vids and strats.

Live game tomorrow, with fish only :D

Edit: Alot of the impatience and frustration comes from playing a too low level. My roll isnt that big yet and the kind of money i play for makes the game very unintressting. But its a grind and ill calm down and get more disciplined.
    • Laurenz1988
      Laurenz1988
      Bronze
      Never go broke on a pair!
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      I experience the same thing. Cash games are profitable for me, but not as much as S&G's, and especially not as much as in tournaments. There is a HUGE difference between a tournament and a cashgame. Why do I find the tournaments better:

Frustration: while this happened to me on cashgames, tournaments just totally calm me down, because of the cosiness of the format. It almost reminds me of playing scrabble.

Strategy: tournaments give you a fixed time limit in which you have to make a move (to avoid going all in on a blind, if possible a couple of rounds ahead of that point). That means you need more opportunism, instinct and originality.

Fun: This seems like an unimportant factor, but i believe it is NOT. Because it is more fun to play a tournament, a gambler, who just left the roulette table for a game of poker, is more likely to try a tournament, so he can win a very big pot.

There are a couple of players who reach the top in cash games and tournaments, but there are much more players with a specialty. I actually read that in an article of a famous tournament player (can's remember the name) who decided 20 player s&g's where his favorite. It could even be that close.

Be carefull though with playing your 50$ on the mtt's immediately, a downswing could be painful. Try S'G for a while at a site with a small rake in and long bb-levels.

Good luck