Quiz of the Week: Blind Steals in the Short Stack Strategy

• awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      Hello fellow PokerStrategists!

One of the first things you learn on top of the standard strategy in SSS are blind steals; they are an easy and quick way to improve your winning rate - if done right.

Today, we bring a new test of wits to our Short Stack Strategy players. Have you just finished learning this straight forward strategy and look for the first ways to further refine it?

Stealing blinds is one of the simplest extension to the strategy. Widening your BU, CO and SB ranges allows you to attack the blinds and to take advantage of these blindly posted stakes. As you implement it, you will have to adjust your resteal calling ranges accordingly in order to avoid becoming exploitable.

Test your knowledge about short-stacked blind stealing in our newest edition of the weekly quiz:

• 10 replies
    • mineriva
      mineriva
      Bronze
      ty for the article i was worried that the blind steal/resteal is a leak in my game and this article helped a bit.

Question Axs on the button not a steal? AK in his video Tight as Hell ...Not (2) surgests that Axs against tight blinds is a good steal. I thought the A6s is a nice steal with the poster because: (1) Axs may be already in our range (2) there is more dead money so we win more when everyone folds (3) the blinds will be more inclinded to fold because of mp2 in the hand.
      (BTW i would steal with 5BB-same as a value raise)

btw 25/30 which was ok for something i thought was a leak
    • SoWe
      SoWe
      Global
      wasn't this posted as bronze some days ago? why the change?
    • awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SoWe
      It most certainly wasn't, I have no clue where you got that idea. There is a new quiz every week, usually on Tuesdays. All quizzes are however set to basic for their first week, so you should always be able to take them, even as Bronze member.

Hope I could clear things up.

/Max
    • WildBeans
      WildBeans
      Bronze
      63%, that's very funny. There's no way I wouldn't raise with A6s with so much dead money, and there's no way I would fold AJs as SB vs BB...
      but then again I never did play NL50..
    • SoWe
      SoWe
      Global
      Originally posted by awishformore
      It most certainly wasn't, I have no clue where you got that idea. There is a new quiz every week, usually on Tuesdays. All quizzes are however set to basic for their first week, so you should always be able to take them, even as Bronze member.

Hope I could clear things up.

/Max
      I get this idea from two facts:
      1) when it was posted as bronze I noticed and even asked in the german forum why that same quiz is only available on silver there
      2) I could, and still can take the quiz

Didn't know that the quizzes are set to basic the first week... that could explain it, yeah...

oh yeah, just took a look again...
      my post in the german forum on this was made on the 8th, this "silver" quiz was posted on the 9th on the news site. So there!
    • awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SoWeI get this idea from two facts:
      1) when it was posted as bronze I noticed and even asked in the german forum why that same quiz is only available on silver there
      2) I could, and still can take the quiz

Didn't know that the quizzes are set to basic the first week... that could explain it, yeah...

oh yeah, just took a look again...
      my post in the german forum on this was made on the 8th, this "silver" quiz was posted on the 9th on the news site. So there!
      Can you please explain why you simply assume that German and English content is the same?

Because they are not. While we strive to make all content available in all languages, the content has to be actually translated first. So while this quiz has been posted on the German site before, it is a NEW quiz for the English site.

The same is true for strategy articles - even though the utmost effort is made to keep all content up-to-date in all languages, there will be times where the German and the English version are different.

The quiz has the same level, which is Silver, in all languages and the only reason you are able to access it is because every member of the site, even basic, has access to the quizzes for a whole week after they are posted.

Could you also explain why you demand an explanation for this? I have troubles seeing the problem you have. Don't you actually profit by being able to access this quiz for a week as opposed to not being able to take the test at all?

It would also be more constructive, fruitful and helpful is you could give us and the other players feedback about the content of the quiz itself instead of hanging yourself on trivial matters.
    • SoWe
      SoWe
      Global
      Yes, of course the content has to be translated first.

I do not acknowledge that this has been marked as silver all the time, but as you said it doesn't really matter.

I noticed that the english SSS is still "v3", while the german is "v4"... since quite some time actually. Do you need somebody to translate?
    • awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      Yes, of course the content has to be translated first.

I do not acknowledge that this has been marked as silver all the time, but as you said it doesn't really matter.

I noticed that the english SSS is still "v3", while the german is "v4"... since quite some time actually. Do you need somebody to translate?
      Well, I know what I wrote.

As far as I know, they are always looking for qualified people. Take a look at the PokerStrategy jobs page if you're interested.

Greets, Max.
    • mineriva
      mineriva
      Bronze
      Can we discuss the idea of a reraise from the blind.

Basic strategy is 88+, AJs+ to reraise AI. I was wandering why we could not reraise 3x the raise and if called ship any flop. The point is we can play a bit more hands because villian folds so often and if he ships we can fold because we know that the 4bet is only premium hands.

any ideas.
    • Kokaroc
      Kokaroc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mineriva
      Can we discuss the idea of a reraise from the blind.

Basic strategy is 88+, AJs+ to reraise AI. I was wandering why we could not reraise 3x the raise and if called ship any flop. The point is we can play a bit more hands because villian folds so often and if he ships we can fold because we know that the 4bet is only premium hands.

any ideas.
      it is a good idea to raise 3xBB if villain steals for 2-2,5BB or 3BB and we have a bigger stack.
      otherwise shove is better, as you invest half of your stack with your 3-bet.
      if villain steals from BU and he calls, he has position on you, therefore push any flop isn't always good idea.
      Playing 3-bet fold with half remaining stack is also not profitable, as you only need +-27% equity to be break even (rake included).
      And if villain sees you 3-bet/folding, he can easily adaapt.