When did you start?

• eikciR
      eikciR
      Basic
      So, i'm curious: when did you start playing poker?

How about what format did you start playing at? What were your expectations of the game itself? Did you think you would end up playing online? What motivates you to carry on playing?

Let us know!
  • 12 replies
    • Ave27
      Ave27
      Bronze
      I started playing for real, i think in o7 is when is signed up, but i only played like 5 times and rl took over. *moving, school, computer breaking* so i didn't come back till this year.

I started with NL. I've since learned SnG, FL, and very little stud.

lol winning money is what motivates me to move on. I've always been competitive in all sports, and in this one u can take some1's money as well... its a pretty sweet feeling :s_cool:
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Started in 07 when I lost my job. I could join a site without making a deposit in those days so I played the 10,000 seat NL freerolls that paid about 10c for 260th place. :D
      Made about $25 then moved to 10c 10 seat SnGs until I had some luck and won a few of the freerolls (about $25 for 1st lol). So moving on to cash I played 2c/4c NL FR and still the freerolls. Cash games gave me rake so I could enter bigger paying freerolls, such as the $1,000 for 1st one every Sunday with about 200 seats. Again I was lucky and got 2nd for $700. So, after about 4 weeks and not having ever deposited, I haven't looked back. Over the next 2 years I made dozens of final tables and won it a couple of times as well. I still play freerolls although not the donkfests I was forced to at the start. I still play (own) 2c/4c FR NL and 6 max. I play 2c/4c 6max OH and up to 25c/50c FR FL.
      Having never made a deposit I think I have withdrawn about £9,000 over the 3 years, so what motivates me is obvious...I love free money![So does SWMBO by the way..sigh :) ] Lol.
      Anyway, I would definitely have to say that this site has motivated me to be a better player, even if I don't entirely agree with the strategy for micro limits. Watching the coaching and vids, the articles, quizzes and not least the forums and evaluations, is extremely motivating, as is hearing of the success of others.
      A final point on motivation is that I am a Math graduate and we don't have jobs (or mates :) ), so it gives me something to do.
      Sorry if it's a bit waffly.
    • Targetme
      Targetme
      Bronze
      1$ tourneys for my dad when I was under age and I kept makin the money :D
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Started playing in 1989 for pennies in college (yes I really am that old :tongue: )

In those days it was more draw poker, but we also played a little standard holdem as we know it today. Used to also play quite a lot of brag too.

Before then, only real experience of card games was as a child playing pontoon (blackjack) against my father.

Internet wasn't really around/widespread so ofc had no idea I would return to poker a number of years later, especially online.

Always played as a hobby, winning is great, but I just enjoy playing. Always been competitive so I always try to beat/out last my opponents, but as long as you don't take it too seriously, you'll never grow tired of it.

<Old> Bart
    • rbdflyboy
      rbdflyboy
      Bronze
      was in a bad car accident. The walls were closing in on me. A friend of mine intro'd me to holdem. Then I found PS rest is history.
    • wasteland
      wasteland
      Gold
      start like 4 years ago... after 6 months i found pokerstrategy... get banned and didn't recive my starting capital :rolleyes: of course it was my fault i had registered twice :f_frown: so i pick my money and get deposit on FTP... win some small cash and continue to play really everything without thinkin what am i supose to do :)

2 years ago i've discovered pokerstars... play a freerolll there finished between 72/9000 get to round 2 freeroll and 2 weeks later i play it :) 4/4700 (fish get luck) :) of course i withdraw like half of my BR and than get criplled...

1 year ago i discover beauty of live poker and start play some small tourneys and of course cash games :) have some wins and some losses (in general wins just covered my losses)

Today i try to improve my game and start learn really hard... no i'm just joking :D but i still have fun and enjoy the game (but just on the lowest limits :f_mad:
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      <---------- my registration date is approximately the time i started playing poker..

I got into poker soon after i quit smoking, i simply had lots of time to kill and so decided that it would be fun to get rich.. So i got into investing - reading books/forums, but the problem was that i was broke student and in order to make money investing you firstly need to have some cash as well..

So after a while i found Lithuanian poker blog and was fascinated how someone could make money sitting in front of his computer playing a card game. (sounds familiar, eh? ^^)

Anyway, then i accidently found pokerstrategy.com and my journey began..

I played and still play NLHE cash. So I lost money quickly because i thought "loooool strategy", "i'm poker genius, and i'll play my own MID STACK strategy" etc. =D

But after depositing my own cash and dropping down to last few bucks i figured i'd better get good or gtfo of this game.. Lucky me i started running like god at that point otherwise i wouldn't be here writing this BS.

What motivates to carry on playing? Money mainly, i don't see any job perspectives in my country, but obv i enjoy playing and challenging myself as well.
    • eikciR
      eikciR
      Basic
      Originally posted by gadget51
      Started in 07 when I lost my job. I could join a site without making a deposit in those days so I played the 10,000 seat NL freerolls that paid about 10c for 260th place. :D
      Made about $25 then moved to 10c 10 seat SnGs until I had some luck and won a few of the freerolls (about $25 for 1st lol). So moving on to cash I played 2c/4c NL FR and still the freerolls. Cash games gave me rake so I could enter bigger paying freerolls, such as the $1,000 for 1st one every Sunday with about 200 seats. Again I was lucky and got 2nd for $700. So, after about 4 weeks and not having ever deposited, I haven't looked back. Over the next 2 years I made dozens of final tables and won it a couple of times as well. I still play freerolls although not the donkfests I was forced to at the start. I still play (own) 2c/4c FR NL and 6 max. I play 2c/4c 6max OH and up to 25c/50c FR FL.
      Having never made a deposit I think I have withdrawn about £9,000 over the 3 years, so what motivates me is obvious...I love free money![So does SWMBO by the way..sigh :) ] Lol.
      Anyway, I would definitely have to say that this site has motivated me to be a better player, even if I don't entirely agree with the strategy for micro limits. Watching the coaching and vids, the articles, quizzes and not least the forums and evaluations, is extremely motivating, as is hearing of the success of others.
      A final point on motivation is that I am a Math graduate and we don't have jobs (or mates :) ), so it gives me something to do.
      Sorry if it's a bit waffly.
      This was a really good read actually. Thanks for the stories so far guys, much appreciated.

(BUMP)
    • alister15
      alister15
      Bronze
      I'm 19 I first got into poker playing a Live NLHE £5 SNG at my mates house about a year ago. After that started playing online in some free rolls. Then i discovered poker strategy. Started reading up an playing micro limits, but then played out of my depth and blew all the starting capital. So then i deposited $50 on Full tilt about 5 months ago and so far I've been making a slow and steady profit and Micro limits and $2 180 Player SNG's. Would like to play more but find it hard to find time with work etc but lately ive started putting more time in and im starting to see results. Should turn silver on here in the next week or so.
    • eikciR
      eikciR
      Basic
      BUMP*
    • littlewing1
      littlewing1
      Bronze
      im 25 from leeds englandregular on ladbrokes poker.

i started playing about a year ago online, before that only at a friends house and i was doing well there and thought i was a good player, so i got into online playing and soon lost abit of money bcos i was playing out of my league. but then i started to do some research into the game and it just blew me away at first at the amount of info and strategy needed to actually be a good player.

so i started learning and learning and started winning to, i love to play no limit MTTs and sngs, fairly small stakes still but my bankroll is going up and as long as its in that direction im happy.
      i only joined this site a few weeks ago and ive not been off it ive read and watched loads and since then ive been winning more and more, this week alone im up over £80 from 2 final table finishes in a £1 mtt on ladbrokes poker, may not sound alot to some folk on here but to someone playing micro stakes it fairly substantial.

what motivates me is obviously the money and wanting to earn more of it doing something i love.

what about u eikcir u started the thread how long u bin playing and whats your game???
    • eikciR
      eikciR
      Basic
      Originally posted by littlewing1
      what about u eikcir u started the thread how long u bin playing and whats your game???
      Thanks for replying mate. I've been playing roughly 6 months now I think. I'm fairly young, I go college in Leicester studying psychology, sociology, media and ICT. The reason for which I play poker is that whilst going college I got fairly bored during free periods and lunch breaks, etc. and so I decided to ask my friends what we could do. Poker came up and we all started playing. I'm by far the most advanced out of all of us but when we play live people get extreemly lucky and win. I usually hold up and cash most of the time but in most games, which consists of 8 players, when people get short stacked they choose to go all-in blind, where they don't look at their cards and hope to get the win. This increases their chip count and I usually lose my lead via that. Online I usually play micro stakes 6max cash games and the ocassional tournament. I'm not that consistant in SnG's and I need some help in them if i'm honest. What motivates me is not just the money but I love outsmarting my opponent - this doesn't mean I bluff a lot but I like to decieve my opponent(s) anyway.