Stack
      Hero:
      $5.31
      BB:
      $4.52
      MP2:
      $5.00

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8:diamond: , 8:heart:
      2 folds, MP2 calls $0.04, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.02, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.12) 7:heart: , 3:heart: , 9:spade: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.06, BB calls $0.06, MP2 folds.

Turn: ($0.24) 8:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.23, BB raises to $0.46, Hero raises to $5.21 (All-In), BB calls $3.96 (All-In).

River: ($9.87) 5:spade: (2 players)

Final Pot: $9.87

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows three of a kind, eights (8d 8h)
      BB shows a straight, nine high (5d 6h)

BB wins with a straight, nine high (5d 6h)
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'd raise preflop against a 9/7 guy, chances are he's limp/calling some kind of pocket pair/suited connector hand which he will be forced to fold on lots of flops with overcards / flops where his speculative hands whiff. We can still get value on the flop when he chooses to peel one bet off, and sometimes we'll cooler the hell out of him when he gets set-over-set'ed by our higher pocket pair.

As played on the flop i like the bet, i'd make it bigger this won't change his calling range and unless he's also limping big pocket pairs we're ahead of his range if he doesn't have 9x.

Turn is likely a cooler i don't think you can get away from that. If you think he can't minraise there with two pairs or play 77/33 like that then calling makes sense hoping to boat up, otherwise you're pretty much forced to make it $1.4 and call a shove.

Hope it helps.