$14.01
      BB:
      $4.78
      MP1:
      $0.80
      MP2(Hero):
      $5.48

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A, J.
      MP1 folds, Hero raises to $0.16, 4 folds, BB calls $0.12.

Flop: ($0.34) 9, T, J (2 players)
      BB bets $0.24, Hero calls $0.24.

Turn: ($0.82) 3 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.58, Hero calls $0.58.

River: ($1.98) K (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $1.98.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of jacks(A J).
      BB shows a straight, king high(J Q).

BB wins with a straight, king high(J Q).

Villain

Stats: Vpip: 40, pfr: 18, Af: 1,7 hands 50. I haven't played much with this guy but I saw him doing some pretty aggro and pointless stuff for NL4. I wouldn't call him as a maniac with such a small sample size, but he definitely overplayed some hands. For example he called a 3bet oop with KJs and check raise shoved a flop where he had overcards and a gutshot.

Preflop

Standard raise from middle position with AJo. I was playing 7 tables on that session as I was grinding out the last few bonus dollars so AJo is pretty much the bottom of my range here.

Flop

"The maniac" calls me pf and donks out on the flop. His bet is pretty strong even though the board is draw-heavy. The fact we were heads-up on the flop makes me think he wouldn't donk any monster hand here as he should expect me to cbet here my whole range. I believe most players would try to checkraise here with flopped straight (at least withk KQ) or sets (JJJ and TTT are pretty unlikely because of his willingness to put a lot of money in with lesser hands).

That's why I'm putting him on range 55-99 (I guess smaller pairs would check/fold or check/call this flop) 87s, 98s, T9, JT,QT , AJ and AQ. I don't exactly crush his range here (I have 52% equity). As I was multitabling I didn't want to get into marginal spots. I think raising here would certainly lead me into bad spots as he could 3bet me out of the hand with draw and I would only make the pot larger with marginal hand. I go for pot control and I plan to fold on every king, queen and eight on the turn. This is how I can control the pot and I can still call the turn if a safe card hits. And by just calling I'm keeping his random gutshot or underpair bluffs in.

Turn

3d hits and the villain bets again. This is a really safe card for me because none of the reasonable hands could have improved. I call again. His bet is three quarters of the pot again and if he bets the river that strong I think I'm giving up the pot even if the river card would be like 2s. I think the odds of him 3barrel bluffing this kind of a board is very slim and there are basically QJ and KJ which I would beat from his value range. Furthermore, I think he hardly bets half the time those two on the river.

River

King is pretty much the worst card in the deck for me. Now I beat absolutely nothing and I prepare to fold to everything else than to a minbet. He checks and I of course take the free showdown.

Analysis

Did I play this too passively? My gut feeling says I'm pretty often ahead on the flop so should I raise the flop for protection? And the river.. While playing I really didn't think about it, but is it a possible spot to bluff? I think the villain should be pretty tight for even thinking of bluffing here. His range has pretty many two pair and sets which can only get value from my bluffs.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Pretty lengthy analysis, I agree with most of it.

Flop play is key and really depends upon what you're seen him do in the preceding hands. This is a flop texture that players with 40 VPIP will hit a ton of the time, most often with some kind of pair, pair+draw or naked one-card OESD, so i believe it's fine to raise not for information, but purely for value. The downside being that you can only guess his donking range and probably don't know his donk/3betting range at all. You've seen him check/raise gutshot+overs hands, maybe he never donk with them, maybe he really is spazzy and will also donk/shove them into you.

I think if you go for a value raise against that guy, which is likely the best play in a vacuum he should be calling it a lot with worse hands, you pretty much need to call it off afterward because he certainly looks capable of taking that line with worse. So either you feel good about calling it off, or you don't, and if you don't, then playing it more passively is fine.

Hope it helps.