[NL2-NL10] NL100 SH TPGK OOP drawy board, v. common

• howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      I've got everyone's favourite position here, out of position against a mildly aggressive and somewhat tight opponent, but probably aggressive enough to raise some draws and smaller made hands (AJ at least), with top pair aces with second kicker in a single raised pot as preflop aggressor. Supposedly basic, very common and very tricky in most people's opinions.

The turn is obviously either a check/fold or bet/fold (anyone want to argue for bet/fold?), so the flop play's the thing. We expect to be ahead when we reach the flop and probably still are slightly ahead of the raiser's range, but position works against us and further action is going to cut out all of his holdings we want to play against. Folding on the flop seems too weak, but is our positional and information disadvantage with multiple draws possible enough of a handicap to justify it?

EDIT: forgot the actual hand:

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)    
      Position:
      Stack
      BU:
      $98.50
      Hero:
      $101.50

0.50/1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.7 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q:spade: , A:heart:
      Hero raises to $4.00, MP3 calls $4.00, CO folds, BU calls $4.00, 2 folds.

Flop: ($13.50) 4:club: , A:club: , 6:diamond: (3 players)
      Hero bets $8, MP3 folds, BU raises to $21.00, Hero calls $13.00.

Turn: ($55.50) 3:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $73.50 (All-In), Hero folds.

Final Pot: $129.00
  • 3 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi howard182!

I would bet more on the flop (~$10) and call his raise. A fold on the flop isn't an option. If the draw completes on the turn (like in this case) I would check/fold the turn. If the draw doesn't complete I would bet (~half potsize)/fold the turn. By doing this we are not giving any free cards for possible draws and will get information whether we are up against a set. Thoughts?

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      Hmm, my cbet was a bit small, not sure why I did that... ah, $12.83 after rake, but 2/3 pot is perhaps a bit small for this board anyway. Your suggestion is how I play it but I don't like it too much. The pot's $100 on the river if the turn bet is called and we have $50 behind, folding there would be so exploitable, therefore we're committed. Putting my stack in with AQ against this kind of player really sucks.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      But if he calls or raises your turn bet you can be sure that your top pair good kicker isn't good anymore. What kind of hands would raise you on the flop and raise or call you on the turn? Only hands which beat you. Since he seems to be a reasonable player he wouldn't call a turnbet with a flushdraw. Of course it is expensive to find out what you are up against. But imo it is better to play the hand aggressively. This way we either find out that we have the worse hand or win the pot immediately. I think that's better than not knowing whether you have the best hand and probably folding the best hand.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81