BB ($10)
      Hero ($7.82)
      UTG+1 ($6.10)
      UTG+2 ($10.15)
      MP1 ($1.29)
      CO ($0.93)
      BTN ($2.46)

Dealt to Hero A:heart: A:club:

Hero raises to $0.24, fold, UTG+2 calls $0.24, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold

FLOP ($0.57) J:spade: 7:club: 6:club:

Hero bets $0.36, UTG+2 raises to $1.02, Hero calls $0.66

TURN ($2.61) J:spade: 7:club: 6:club: J:diamond:

Hero checks, UTG+2 bets $2.61, Hero ????

The player is a 17/10/3 and fairly aggressive. I've seen him raise with mid pair before, but wouldn't commit after the raise so I put him on a J on the flop, with possible 88-TT. The turn was a bad card since top pair just improved. Should I donk bet/fold the turn or check/call instead?
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

If he's not going to bet again unimproved with a (semi-)bluff or a mid pair, you don't really profit from just calling the flop. It just makes more dead money for you to capitalize on right on the flop, as it somewhat balances for the times you're behind. That being said if you really think he has a bunch of Jx hands in his range on that flop, together we some straight draws / flush draws, you're probably better off either 3betting and getting it in, or calling planning to check/shove a blank turn if you think he'll bet Jx again for protection when checked to.

As played on the turn it's really nasty, it's not a card he should be looking to bet again on if he's (semi-)bluffing, but then again it's nl6 and he's "fairly aggressive", so who knows how he views that card. I think it's just a fold at that point if Jx is in his range unless you can put him on enough (semi-)bluffs there to warrant a call down or a check/jam, since your turn call will commit you.

Hope it helps.