[NL2-NL10] NL4 SC's on the Turn

• STR82ACE
      STR82ACE
      Bronze
      First, sorry about the converter. Its the only one I could find for Cake hands, and I still had to manually input the bet amounts.

I like to play SC's in position if I can get in cheap enough and there's enough equity to follow through with them, but I misjudged the amount of fold equity I had against villain and wondering what my play should be on the turn. Only read on villain is loose semi aggressive.

Hand was converted using Cake hand converter
      $0.02/$0.04 N/A yet (9 handed)
      Known Players:
      UTG2:
      $2.88
      UTG3:
      $1.4
      MP1:
      $4.05
      MP2:
      $3.94
      MP3(Hero):
      $5.3
      CO:
      $5.24
      BU:
      $3.90
      SB:
      $1.36
      BB:
      $3.74
      M:24.09 (Green zone)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 5,6.
      UTG3 calls 0.04, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls 0.04, CO folds, BU calls 0.04, SB folds, UTG2 raises 0.11, UTG3 calls 0.07, Hero calls 0.07, BU calls 0.07

Flop: ($0.33) 7,J,Q (5 players)
      UTG2 bets 0.12, UTG3 folds, Hero raises 0.41, BU folds, UTG2 raises 0.70, Hero calls 0.29

Turn: ($1.73) 3 (3 players)
      UTG2 bets 0.93, Hero ???
  • 3 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Turn is either a fold or a call, depending on how likely you think he is to

1/ have a better flushdraw in that spot

2/ still stack off for whatever is left if a club hits on the river

I'd give him a made hand more than a draw because of the flop donk/min3bet line, and given the stacks i'm pretty sure he's not folding even on a club river. So we're getting 3:1 immediate and likely close to 4.5:1 counting implieds odds, we need 4:1 to draw to our flush, i think it's a call.

If for some reason you think he can have a better flushdraw sometimes or that he's capable of folding top pair on a club river, it probably becomes a fold. No matter what you do, don't shove.

Hope it helps.
    • STR82ACE
      STR82ACE
      Bronze
      After his flop re raise, I put him on 77, JJ+, AQ+, not a better flush draw though. As it was, my equity on the turn was about 30%. Racking my brain out trying to figure out if a call is the best course of action, or a fold, still not sure.

Figured if I did hit, I would certainly felt him, just not sure if my equity was sufficient for a call here.

Originally posted by tamairlarace
      No matter what you do, don't shove.

Can you please advise me why shoving the turn would be a bad thing? Would it have been better to shove the flop?

Not trying to rationalize what I did in this hand, but I am wondering if I played it correctly. (FTR, I called the turn bet, hit a 4 on the river for a straight and did actually stack him off. Just not convinced it was the RIGHT move).
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Because it's nl4 and players that take that line with the range you assigned him aren't folding anyway. If you call, you take decent odds to stack him on good rivers and get away on bad rivers. If you shove, you're basically saying you're all-in with 30% equity on any river, which means 70% of the time you throw away the extra $1.5 raise, for no good reason.

Hope it helps.