playing 500BB deep

• peche025
      peche025
      Bronze
      So this weekend I am going to be playing a live tournament which I have just found out the first level is 50/100 with 50k starting stack. So that's 500BB.

Having never played that deepstacked I was wondering if anyone has any advice? Is it simply a case of playing looser at the start, calling with hands with implied odds, suited connectors, low pairs etc.
  • 7 replies
    • AlCaTrAzzALZ
      AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Bronze
      play uber tight at the start, starting hand range of AA+ ;)

there's no point getting involved in a hand, where u might win say 5k, but risk losing 50k... the only hands i would be looking at are hands that can flop the absolute nuts (cos who is going to risk a 50k start bank with anything but the nuts anyway?)
    • curnow
      curnow
      Bronze
      cash game players will have big edge in first few levels being used to playing with deep stacks & being able to play poker rather than push/fold

some will be limping pretty much with any two looking to hit the flops hard & winning big pot

you can play the same oor stick to big hands like As/Ks but remember they are only one pair & at times will have to fold them
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      I wouldn't play ubertight... it'll make you very readable... play hands with good implied odds, SCs, suited one gappers etc. Use your position to steal pots etc. A lot of players play too tight and passive... when playing in deep tourneys you're not really looking to double up anytime soon, but rather develop a stack... hands with good implied odds + hand reading skills will help you here... besides a little bit of looseness will help get your monsters paid off...
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NickParkes
      I wouldn't play ubertight... it'll make you very readable... play hands with good implied odds, SCs, suited one gappers etc. Use your position to steal pots etc. A lot of players play too tight and passive... when playing in deep tourneys you're not really looking to double up anytime soon, but rather develop a stack... hands with good implied odds + hand reading skills will help you here... besides a little bit of looseness will help get your monsters paid off...
      Spot on.

I've played a fair few live MTTs, cbetting is very important IMO. It works fairly often if you cbet against the right players (don't cbet people who are clear calling stations), and those who are better players will realise you're cbetting every flop, just in time to pay you off when you flop a monster :P

EDIT:
      Also, low pockets are your new god. I only ever fold low pockets to a MASSIVE raise, or to a 3-bet. If someone raises preflop, your implied odds when you hit your set are HUGE because they will often hit top pair or overpair.
    • armo
      armo
      Bronze
      pff, 500bb deep you can setmine in 4bet pots :D
    • ZhiCheng
      ZhiCheng
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AlCaTrAzzALZ
      play uber tight at the start, starting hand range of AA+ ;)

there's no point getting involved in a hand, where u might win say 5k, but risk losing 50k... the only hands i would be looking at are hands that can flop the absolute nuts (cos who is going to risk a 50k start bank with anything but the nuts anyway?)
      Abuse ubertights by stealing and playing marginal holdings for small pots - if the pot gets bigger than your hand - get away
      Edit: Nick already said it all
    • noclaninator
      noclaninator
      Bronze
      If you raise KK QQ and get 3bet early you don't 4bet. AA in a 3bet pot you look to get your stack in; AA in a 3bet pot with 500bb is trash. Preflop hand matters little, postflop hand matters more. 53 suited gains value. AK loses value. Don't make the mistake of playing no hands early on. You still have to win all the chips to take first place, so get started.

Also if the blind levels last less than an hour then you are in a "fake" deep stack tournament and probably should not stress out about deep stack play.