TPTK,TPGK and TPWK

• prg09
      prg09
      Bronze
      Hi there,

i know this is very basic but can you please help to clarify the followings.

Suppose the flop is QT5.

1. If i have AQ, KQ, then i have TPTK (=top pair with top kicker), right?

2. If the flop is like above, What would a TPGK (=top pair with good kicker) be here? i guess QJ is TPGK but what about QT or Q9?

3. And What would be a TPWK (=top pair with weak kicker)? Q9 or below?

Cheers, prg09.
  • 11 replies
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by prg09
      1. If i have AQ, KQ, then i have TPTK (=top pair with top kicker), right?
      KQ is top pair second kicker.

3. And What would be a TPWK (=top pair with weak kicker)? Q9 or below?
      On a flop with QT you have so many straight draws that everything else is just trash. You might as well consider any cbet here a bluff no matter what you are holding. If you get called down and draw cards come on the turn or river you might be up the creek without a paddle.

That kind of board is really draw heavy and hits lots of people's range.
    • prg09
      prg09
      Bronze
      Hi,

thanks very much for your thoughts.

On a flop with QT you have so many straight draws that everything else is just trash.
      Yeah, sure, maybe this was not the best example. Can you plz give some better examples of a flop and TPGK and/or TPWK.

KQ is top pair second kicker.
      Any example of a flop and TPTK where TP is not an Ace?

prg09
    • prg09
      prg09
      Bronze
      Any example of a flop and TPTK where TP is not an Ace?
      Sorry, instead i wanted to say:

Any example of a flop and TPTK where TK (=top kicker) is not an Ace?
    • FakeLunatic
      FakeLunatic
      Bronze
      any board with an ace.

AK on Axx board.
    • prg09
      prg09
      Bronze
      Hi,

yeah, sure, thanks. But i guess this is a special case. So i would change my question this way:

Any example of a flop and TPTK where the TP (=top pair) is not AA and TK (=top kicker) is not an Ace?
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Hi,

yeah, sure, thanks. But i guess this is a special case. So i would change my question this way:

Any example of a flop and TPTK where the TP (=top pair) is not AA and TK (=top kicker) is not an Ace?
      I think you don't understand what is the meaning of TPTK.

if the TOP pair is not an AA then the TOP kicker has to be an A hwat is why it is top kicker

and if it is AA most of the time it is K top kicker unless I think on a AK board AQ would be TPTK

to summarise:
      - Top pair is the top card on the board associated with one of your card

- if the top pair is anything but AA top kicker is A

- if the top pair is AA then the kicker most of the time is K (Q on an AK board)

good kicker to my opinion is J+. some people might consider T+ to be good kicker

anything below a good kicker is a weak kicker

hopefully things are clearer now :f_grin:
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      You didn't specify the limit you are currently playing at, but it did make me think of another point.

The definition of "good" kicker is going to be situational. It will depend upon the limit you are at, who has the initiative, and who your villain is. As you get into higher limits people generally aren't going to continue with low kickers so hands like KT and even KJ can start to look extremely weak.

In no limit you generally don't want to be caught at showdown with only TPTK/TPGK. Unless they are a huge fish anyone calling you down the whole way probably expects to beat TPTK.
    • prg09
      prg09
      Bronze
      well, guess i look real dumb ass now...but something i read confused me so it was better to get this clarified.
      guys, thank you for your help.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      well, guess i look real dumb ass now...but something i read confused me so it was better to get this clarified.
      Not at all. No one is born knowing how to be a pro poker player. Just imagine at one point even Phil Ivey didn't know that a full house beats a flush. :D
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      every one makes mistakes :s_evil:
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thazar
      every one makes mistakes :s_evil:
      I love this clip. Somehow I find it motivational :/

And OP, don't worry abouot looking stupid. The forum is here for that kind of questions! Don't hesitate to ask. There're lots of people in here willing to help.