[NL2-NL10] NL5 2 top pair hands, 1 overpair

• snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze

Was this betting sequence ok or should I have made my turnbet a different size?

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)        
      MP3:
      $1,55
      Hero:
      $5,04

0,02/0,04 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.7 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A:diamond: , K:spade:
      UTG folds, Hero raises to $0,16, 3 folds, MP3 calls $0,16, 3 folds, BB calls $0,12.

Flop: ($0,50) 2:diamond: , K:club: , 5:heart: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0,35, MP3 calls $0,35, BB folds.

Turn: ($1,20) T:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,75, MP3 calls $0,75.

River: ($2,70) 9:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,30, MP3 raises to $0,29 (All-In).

Final Pot: $3,29

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)       
      Hero:
      $3,43
      MP2:
      $2,44

0,02/0,04 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.7 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is SB with K:club: , A:club:
      3 folds, MP2 calls $0,04, MP3 folds, CO calls $0,04, BU folds, Hero raises to $0,24, BB folds, MP2 calls $0,20, CO folds.

Flop: ($0,56) 7:spade: , J:spade: , T:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,45, MP2 calls $0,45.

Turn: ($1,46) K:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,70, MP2 raises to $1,40, Hero calls $0,70.

I really shouldve folded here right? But was my betsize ok here? Or should I just have checked?

River: ($4,26) Q:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $0,35 (All-In), Hero calls $0,35.

Final Pot: $4,96

MP1:
      $3,68
      Hero:
      $5,26

0,02/0,04 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A:heart: , A:spade:
      Hero raises to $0,16, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls $0,16, 6 folds.

Flop: ($0,38) 7:spade: , 2:diamond: , Q:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,30, MP1 calls $0,30.

Turn: ($0,98) K:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,65, MP1 raises to $1,30, Hero folds.

Should I have called his minraise here and see what the river brings?

Final Pot: $2,93
  • 5 replies
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      let me give it a try :)

Hand 1: You spike your TPTK on a dry board vs a shortstacked villain - You are gonna get your chips to the middle someway. I would probably have put the villain AI on the turn instead though - But since it's such a dry board I don't think it matters that much. Well played

Hand 2: This depends a little on the villain, but a check on the turn is out of the question in my oppinion. A check would often give the villain a chance to bluff you out of the pot - bet/folding is the better option here I think - You don't beat much more that a bluff at that board, but the pot odds are quite good so perhabs a call is okay - I will let other more qualified people decide :) .. As the action goes the river call is of course okay - no way you can fold getting such odds..

Hand 3: I think I would go busto with AA on that board unless I had seen him play his sets that way before.. Reraise the turn would be my play - he could easily be pushing you off with a FD (or maybe even a SD).. There are many cards you wouldn't like to see on the river so I don't think just calling his bet would be correct if you are planning to fold the river UI..

I might be wrong in some of these, but I'm sure someone will come around to correct me soon :)

Best regards,
      Mugge
    • snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      2. Yeah I think a bet/fold wouldve been a much better thing to do. As you said about checking, thats exactly my line of thought too.

3. Yeah afterwards I realised that perhaps it wasnt such a good thing to fold since as you say, he could have a FD or a SD, and yeah a call really doesnt help me figure where I stand either.

Oh well, lets see what perhaps Puschkin or someone else experienced says about this too :) . But your feedback is greaty appreciated Mugge88, its always interesting to hear what other people think about it, how others think etc :) .

And Im really in a downswing now, I really am, I guess I had fear in my veins with the AA hand even if I may have done the right thing (but it feels like I probably didnt hehe). I think Im going to take a break from poker for a couple of days :) .
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      good to hear you can use my inputs :)

If you think a few days off poker will help you play better when you come back, go ahead and take a break :) I just donked off 1½ buyin due to cold cards and a few very marginal crying calls.. bad play from my side mostly (okay, lost 2 hands I couldn't have done much about which equals 1/2 of my total loss this evening).. Anyway, i'm still in + for the day so I will survive.. Hopefully this episode will teach me not to play when I'm a little tired or when I don't like the tables. It seems like there's alot more weak/passive players in the afternoon and more maniacs and callingstations at this time of the day.. My natural style fits the weak/passive players better, and I definately need to get better at changing my style based on the opponents - But I guess it will get alot easier when i get PT..

Anyway, that was quite off topic - Hope your luck changes soon at the tables - we can all get some unlucky cards once in a while :) Keep up the hope and play your very best and try to improve your game constantly - Thats much more important than if you have a few winning or losing sessions in a row

Best regards,
      Mugge

And goodnight :)
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi snowylee!

First of all: Please stick to the posting guidelines.

Hand 1) I would just put him all-in on the turn. There is no need to let him see a river card.

Hand 2) I would contibet less (~$0.30) on this board and especially because your opponent is so short stacked. Keep the pot small. In case you hit your top pair on the turn (like in this case) you don't want to play a big pot. In this special case where also the flush draw completes you would have the chance to call him down. For this reason it is important to keep the pot small. Like you played it: Bet more on the turn (~$1.20) and even go all-in if he raises you.

Hand 3) First of all: It was a good move to fold here because you did not know what to do. That's better than to think: "I don't know what to do. Oh well, I have aces -> all-in"
      Concerning the hand: I would call his raise on the turn and reevaluate on the river. I don't see so many people raising here with flushdraws and/or straightdraws - maybe with top pair or two pair. I would also call a normal bet on the river. But if he bets too big I fold because I only have a pair. Even a crappy two pair beats my hand.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      Ah yeah Im sorry, I forgot about the rules in the heat of the moment ~~, wont happen again:) .

1. Yeah I shouldve done that since he didnt have that much left anyway.

2. Yeah I will try to do some smaller contibets on this kind of flop, I actually think it was a bit larger than I usually do too, hmm..

3. At first I put him on two pair or set, I guessed my mind just wanted to come up with some reasons why I shouldt have folded hehe..

Yeah as I said, its always nice to get some feedback and other peoples thoughts on how they would have played it Mugge :) . And I dont know, perhaps I dont need a break, I think yesterday was just a really unlucky day, coupled with some bad play from me ofc, Im not going to be naive and think it was JUST bad luck since Im not really a good player, Im still learning TONS of things so :) . It really was my TP vs their set or some other stronger stuff when I finally got some hands, and I went into the session with a really good mentality. And I really really feel the urge to play more, not because of "oh Ive lost quite some money, I must get it back!" but because I really feel its something REALLY FUN :) .