Just a simple FAQ

• capriles753
      capriles753
      Bronze
      We play live poker every monday (buy-in $30)... And someone raised a question about flush that got my attention since I thought I was sure about the response but I will share it first:

Player 1: J(h) 3(h)
      Player 2: T(h) 6(h)

Boards shows: A(h) Q(h) 2(h) 3(x) 7(x)

So as far as I know it is a tied since both have Flush w/ Ace high, right?

OR

Should we consider the highest card ON HAND - in this case Player 1 wins with J harts?

I appreciate the response.
  • 5 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Player 1 wins
    • Revenem
      Revenem
      Silver
      It is always a matter of looking at the 5 cards that make the highest flush. In your case A Q J (3 2) makes a higher flush than A Q T (6 2)

If he'd have 8h 7h and you have 5h 6h and the board comes Ah Qh 9h Th Jh it'd be a tie, since the winning flush would be AQJT9.

So you can't really say if you always have to look at the highest card on hand or not, it depends. In the case of a flush you almost always have to though, but for 2 pair like situations ties are a lot more common.

For example

Player 1: KQ, player 2: QJ

board: 2 2 8 8 T -> player one wins (eights and twos, K kicker)
      board: 2 2 8 8 A -> tie (eights and tws, Ace kicker)
    • littlewing1
      littlewing1
      Bronze
      yeh as night frost said player one wins,

but i remember wen they first started poker on facebook and there was a glitch and it was splitting the pot when this case arised and i remember telling someone on there that they should have won the pot bcos he had the highest flush card in his hand(within the top 5 cards)
      i presume this has been rectified now.
      very good question tho for any noobs to poker.
    • wasteland
      wasteland
      Silver
      Originally posted by Revenem

If he'd have 8h 7h and you have 5h 6h and the board comes Ah Qh 9h Th Jh it'd be a tie, since the winning flush would be AQJT9.

I have to disagree with your example 'cause player one has obviosly made a straight flush QhJhTh9h8h :f_biggrin:
    • Revenem
      Revenem
      Silver
      lol. And here I was making sure that the board didn't make a straight flush, and I still end up messing it up :P

But hey, you get what I am trying to say ;)