[NL2-NL10] Making small bets on dangerous board

• Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      1)
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)      
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $4,95
      CO:
      $9,78
      UTG+1:
      $6,98
      BU:
      $13,95

0,10/0,35 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.8 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7:heart: , A:spade: . CO posts a blind of $0,35.
      UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $0,25, 4 folds, CO checks, BU calls $0,25, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($1,20) T:heart: , A:club: , 5:heart: (4 players)
      Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($1,20) K:diamond: (4 players)
      Hero bets $0,50, 3 folds.

Final Pot: $1,70

I thought that nobody had ace, but the board wasn´t so good and against 3 players I decided to make value/block bet with 0,50$. Against re-raise I could fold and if someone calls, hopefully I can check it down.

2)
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)      
      Position:
      Stack
      UTG:
      $25,27
      Hero:
      $4,40
      BB:
      $25
      CO:
      $25

0,10/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.8 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is SB with K:club: , J:club: . CO posts a blind of $0,25.
      UTG calls $0,25, 5 folds, CO checks, BU folds, Hero calls $0,15, BB checks.

Flop: ($1,00) 9:heart: , 2:heart: , 4:diamond: (4 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, CO checks.

Turn: ($1,00) K:diamond: (4 players)
      Hero bets $0,50, 3 folds.

Final Pot: $1,50

Same here. Hit my king and tried to take down the pot only with half pot size bet.
  • 4 replies
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      In position I would like your Bets on the Turn much better. I guess OOP its ok as well. But you have to be done with the hand if you get called and do not improve.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Kaitz20!

I think out of position it's better to check it down than to bet. In both hands you are up against 3 players who all act behind you. It's not very likely that everybody folds to your (less than) half potsize bet.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Problem with checking, is that CO or BU would try to steal the pot, because everyone else has shown weakness. I can´t call 1$ bet, so I tried to by pot with less money. This time it worked, don´t know if it is good move, because I don´t want that someone re-raise me also I don´t like, if someone calls and then makes pot size bet on the river. At least I have shown some strength and won the pot.
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      1) If you decide to bet the turn then you should make it an amount that will quite possibly deny the odds for any possible draws and convey strength. Some people will auto-raise weak bets.

I'd check call the turn and probably the river versus an aggressive LP player here.

Against passive players betting $1 seems fine since there are plenty of draws/K's/T's/smaller A's to call you. I wouldn't want to risk a free-card here.

2) Similar to 1) but in this hand it is a clearer check.