Thinking of changing my game type

• BoooGieMaNN

Currently im playing SSS NL10 games, havnt climbed to higher stakes yet,
      i started playing around 9 months ago, at first it went all ok and i think i had like $120 at one point, but then i had a downswing and by the time i cleared my 50$ bonus on FTP i had only like 90$ so i realized i was actually loosing, then i moved to PokerStars where i played some more SSS NL10 and lost even more and my BR went back to about 55$, so then i stopped playing poker for about half a year and now i started again 3 days ago and im currently up in about 12$.
      The problem is i find playing SSS quite boring and too robotic, i dont like pressing "Fold" button for 15mins only to get the blinds when i finally get a playable hand and everyone else folds :)

So im thinking of switching NL SSS to NL BSS or SnG's or maybe MTT's, the problem is i dont know which one to choose.

I have heard that NL BSS is considered to be the "real" poker and that its really fun and profitable when you learn how to play it. But i havnt even beaten NL10 using SSS yet, so i guess its too early for me to start playing BSS.

Sit and Goes looks like a lot of fun for me (never tried it yet) and i think that currently im leaning towards it, but 1$ SnG's the rake is high and ive read somewhere that its barely profitable.

So what are others opinions on whats the best to do? Im almost sure that im not going to play SSS forever. But should i start playing SnGs or NL BSS right now? Or should i stick to SSS for now and build a bigger BR and only then start playing SnGs or BSS? Should i switch to SnGs or should i stick to NL?

Any opinions or advice will be appreciated
  • 5 replies
    • fulja
      You know what i think you could do if you can't decide what type of poker suits you....

May be the besting thing would be taking a next week or two, and playing all those types of poker you mentioned for play money on the site you want to play.

Then you'll see what is not boring and where do you feel good playing. After that, use your bankroll and start learning and reading articles about that type of poker. Switch to real money games and use BRM to decide what limit to play.

Start playing using what you have learned from this site and make profit => climb a limit => make more profit => rinse and repeat :D
    • Ave27
      i had this problem i didn't like sss, so i actually started playing FL and sng's then i started bss. now i only play bss and sometimes fl. i read all the articals, watched all the video's or most of them, glanced back over the articles then started playing at the lowest stakes for each game, to figure out which i liked more. i also found bss was more fun to play and learn so i found it easy to keep learning. which ever game u choose it should help with ur over all game. i don't feel sss helps ur game that much, tho it is good for profit... the system works well. if your new to poker u kinda just shove ur good hands and hope u don't get sucked out on, so it doesn't really help post flop.
    • ZhiCheng
      learn, learn, switch to BSS, learn, learn, ship teh $$$
    • Navrark
      Hey BoooGieMaNN!

Personally I had zero luck with SSS, though I only tried it for a little while. And yes it's boring as can be and SSS players are quite despised in the Poker world.

My suggestion to you is to try both BSS and SNG's! That's what I am doing currently and I think it's a great combination because what I learn at one helps me with the other.

I start each day with about 100 hands of BSS at Full Tilt and then I play SNG's. The reason why I do both is because playing BSS can get boring after awhile, but the general Poker public agree that BSS Cash Games is the more profitable playing style of the two. So my decision has been to play Cash until I start falling asleep, get another shot of caffeine and play some SNG's. Since SNG's are life or death matches you stay interested, even if they don't pay as well as Cash tables long term.

Also, check out the $0.25 - 45 and 90 man SNG's on PokerStars. There is no rake at all! It's a great place to learn SNG play without the bankroll risk. As well they aren't difficult at all. I have finished in the money about 50% of the time so far. 45 man = top 7 ITM, 90 man = top 12 ITM, so I recommend the 45 man.

• ShadowOfLight1337
      You can beat NL2 with 10 BI. It's simple as money.