Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $2.15
      Hero:
      $4.76

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with J:spade: , J:diamond:
      6 folds, SB raises to $0.08, Hero raises to $0.24, SB raises to $2.15 (All-In), Hero calls $1.91.

Flop: ($4.30) K:club: , 4:heart: , 6:diamond:
      Turn: ($4.30) Q:club:
      River: ($4.30) 5:spade: (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.30

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of jacks (Js Jd)
      SB shows a pair of kings (As Kh)

SB wins with a pair of kings (As Kh)

call , and fold on the flop? :(
  • 5 replies
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      I'm folding preflop and flop.

Sample size is small so not very informative, currently stats make him look like a tag who limps excessively preflop. But when he raises all in, I would say he has a very strong hand.

I would normally just call with JJ in position against a TAG (too passive?), and call a flop bet if it's a dry flop with no A or K, will call one with Q though.

If he has nothing, he will often shut down on the turn and I can value bet.

However, against a loose/bad player with a short/half stack, I'm always happy to go all in preflop with JJ or even TT.
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      You cant really use 31 hands as a basis for anything unless the villain is showing really, really excessive outlier stats (50+ vpip).

I wouldnt want to rely on a 6 PFR to say "because the villain raised he must have a good hand" after just 31 hands. Its easy enough to not get a single reasonable raising hand first in over just 31 hands.

You can 3bet or cold call for set / overpair flops as you wish here. 3bet is a 3bet-fold line in my book as I dont want to play JJ for 54 BBs against an unknown.

If you call, that flop is unfortunately a check-fold flop. No point being fancy in supermicro limits. People dont have the skill to recognise that a flop raise on that dry flop would be representing a set; they would just continue bet-calling because they have a pair of kings and dont even think about what their opponent holds.

As it is you should never feel upset about getting all in JJ vs AK. You are in front, if narrowly, in this situation - 56/44. Dont worry about results. All that matters is the decisions made... after the money goes in you shouldnt second guess a good decision.
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Small blind vs Big blind against a possible fish. Ship it in for 50bb. Should be marginally behind his value range (but callable given odds). Plus he will also show up with weird stuff / bluffs occasionally.

It's fine to just call pre if you are not comfortable with this, since 3bet/calling can be high variance. But I would never 3bet/fold.

If I thought he was only shoving premiums, I would also just call. 3betting is turning your hand into a bluff, and JJ is a bad hand to bluff with since it has good post-flop playability and equity vs his range.

Flop I would call at least one bet since you have position and the best hand a large percentage of the time.
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      Sorry didn't see he was a shortstack, in that case easy shove preflop I think.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

NH against a halfstacker. I'd rather get it in preflop than start playing guessing games postflop by calling without any idea how aggressive he is in blind battles.

Hope it helps.