Horrible Downswing, desperately seeking advice

• michaelqian
      Hi all

Every since I started NL5 it's been horribly swingy, as soon as I make a little profit, it seems to get taken away instantly. I play at Full Tilt.

After 37,000 hands, my stats are 12.6/8/2.7. I started playing somewhat passive recently because there's seem to be a huge amount of fish and aggro on the tables.

After about the same number of hands at NL2, I'm already 40 stacks up. While at NL5, I'm only 4 stacks up. Which is only 0.58 BB/100 hands.

As I said there seem to be a huge amount of fish or bad players recently. I just can't seem to figure out what's a good way of playing against them and feel like I'm losing a lot of money to them. Also lost a few good stacks with KK vs AA.

1. Preflop raises with small pairs, connectors etc... simply don't work, they call everything, therefore cont-bets postflop almost never work either.

2. They always mange to get the better of me, my Kings have been cracked with 72o once. He called my preflop raise and all subsequent bets, only for me to find out he got 2 pairs on the turn.

3. I do hit sets, good hands, but I never get paid off. It's almost like the fishes can see my cards and fold instantly when I bet or raise with a good hand.

4. Just my observation. Everytime I play, there's almost a few guys sitting at a NL5 table with a ridiculous amount of money, i.e. 4 BIs or more. They have VPIP over 50, extremely bad and loose, yet manage to get lucky everytime.

Any advice? Feeling absolutely sh*t right now.

Here is my graph at NL5

• 5 replies
    • andreibalint
      You have to do 3 things:
      1. Take a break.
      2. Learn a lot.
      3. Play a lot.
    • boyadzhiev
      Thats not the case,
      I had the same problems and there is only 1 solution - play BSS. Short stack just doesn't work on FullTilt.
    • michaelqian
      I do play BSS.
    • p0kerdragon1
      If you are having problems facing loose players try to choose your tables you are playing.

At FT this can be done by ordering the tables by plrs/flop. Low % on this value means more tight players.

I like to play tables below 25% plrs
    • woopstash
      I feel your pain, I have been in the same situation and it sucks. Here's the good news: It will get better. Everyone faces downswings, and as easy as it is to say, you just need to stick with your A game and let everything even out.

I went through a stage where all my monsters were getting cracked by trash hands, and I was losing my mind. But I was also playing other hands poorly which were flying under the radar because all I could focus on were those huge suckouts.

Post big hands for review. Even the ones you win and think you are playing good. The sooner that you a) become confident that you're playing good poker or b) plug some leaks you didn't know existed... the better.

You're bound to run into monsters cracked by trash... it happens, especially at these levels, and ESPECIALLY on the weekends where the drunk fish come out. If it's tilting you, stop playing for a while. Watch some poker, read some books or articles. Don't return to the tables unless your ready to play your A game and have a positive and clear mind.

If you see a big stack on the table with a high VPIP, sit to his left, and play tight. Wait for the monster as they'll most certainly pay you off.

Again, post your hands for review. I've found this to be the best way to plug leaks and/or get some confidence back in your game. The people here give awesome advice. Use it.

Good Luck!