[NL2-NL10] NL10 - ATs, flopped trips

• fulja
      fulja
      Bronze
      I suppose it's a fold here when he shoves river first in cause i really don't see him shoving any hand that i can beat here...right?

How about flop/turn? Any better solutions there?

Thanks,

fulja

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      BB:
      $9.91
      UTG2:
      $20.32
      MP1(Hero):
      $10.49
      MP2:
      $6.97
      MP3:
      $10.42
      CO:
      $10.00
      BU:
      $10.18
      SB:
      $9.83

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T, A.
      UTG2 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, 4 folds, SB calls $0.25, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.7) A, 9, A (2 players)
      SB bets $0.20, Hero raises to $0.60, SB calls $0.40.

Turn: ($1.9) 3 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.00, SB raises to $2.20, Hero calls $1.20.

River: ($6.3) K (2 players)
      SB raises to $6.73, Hero ??
  • 3 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Flop is fine, I'd bet more on the turn like 2/3 pot both to get more value out of worse Ax crap in case he has that, and to prevent some spazz from villain in reaction to a weak bet size.

As played when he raises the turn depends how loose he is preflop, you'll see bad players play trips aces like the nuts because they don't get relative hand strength at all. Now from his line he's bad for sure, but maybe he's still overall tight, which if doesn't call any Ax hand preflop and he wouldn't take such a strong line without a boat or a good Ax.

Basically assuming he's not spazzing out, his value range on the turn and on the river will be the same, either you're good against it and you call all the way, or you aren't and in this case this is even a turn fold. Reason I don't like betting 1/2 is because then you can't be sure whether you induced something or not in a situation where your hand is already marginally strong against his range, so I think as played you need to call down.

Hope it helps.
    • fulja
      fulja
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot for a detailed analysis...I did call him down though, just didn't want to show his cards to see what would ppl say about playing this hand without knownig my opponents hand...

He ended up having 99 for a nicely flopped full house.

So to sum it all up, bet harder on the turn (like 1.3$?) and than folding to a reraise would be the best way to act here?

Actually, if you don't mind me asking a few more questions in here...what's the most likely range an unknown villain is going to have in this spot?

Wouldn't his most obvious range with him bet/calling the flop, check raising turn and shoving river be 99+ and A9+ cause i don't see him doing this with weaker hands. Or am i wrong here?

Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it :)
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Depends on the player, some guys just having fun might actually end up with a bluff since really, flop bets where very small and your turn bet didn't look that strong either, might think a check/minraise is a good bluff line. Others actually aren't thinking about your hand and will treat any trips as the mortal nuts, not realizing you're not going to give them action with a worse hand ever. So let's say overall he has all better hands, some worse trips and occasionally a few bluffs.

That still makes it a bet/fold against anybody who looks reasonable enough.

Hope it helps.