Stack
      UTG:
      $3.75
      Hero:
      $14.99
      MP2:
      $9.55

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG1 with A:spade: , Q:spade:
      UTG calls $0.10, Hero raises to $0.30, UTG2 folds, MP2 calls $0.30, 6 folds.

Flop: ($0.85) 9:diamond: , 7:spade: , 3:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.30, MP2 calls $0.30.

Turn: ($1.45) 8:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $1.45,

I panicked here, I clearly didn't have the pot odds, but he still had $7.5, and had clearly hit something, and if I got the flush, I'd get it all after a brief raisewar.

I tried to figure out the odds in the short time I had.
      Double his stack was $15, the pot was 1.45, which got doubled by his bet, for a total of 17.9:1.45?
      12 to 1 seemed three times better than the 4:1 I needed, and I hesitated to the last moment before calling, not quite sure if the potential outwieghed the cost and the cold read.

Hero calls $1.45.

River: ($4.35) 5:heart: (2 players)

I sigh at the miss, ready to fold to the push. it doesn't come, and the hand he bet the pot on wasn't even a high pair!

Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Final Pot: $4.35

Hero shows high card ace with queen kicker (As Qs)
      MP2 shows a pair of eights (8s 2s)
      MP2 wins with a pair of eights (8s 2s)

Was this a bad play, or was I right to play passively, especially considering the donkbet and a read of only 5 hands?
  • 2 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      I think you should make it around 0,45-0,50 preflop.
      On the flop you have a big draw - you can win a lot of money if you hit a spade. Based on how you played it preflop 0,5 is OK. You may try to bluff on the turn too.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by kymupa
      I think you should make it around 0,45-0,50 preflop.
      On the flop you have a big draw - you can win a lot of money if you hit a spade. Based on how you played it preflop 0,5 is OK. You may try to bluff on the turn too.
      This for preflop and flop play, tho you can even bet bigger on the flop it's fine, that way you'll get to put more money in when you hit.

I think check/calling the turn is fine, 80/0 guy even after 5 hands only usually won't be folding much on that 8 turn that should help him a lot more than it helps you, and chances are when he pots it he doesn't have nothing, so with implieds calling is fine. If you bet again it's mostly the same c-bet that you did on the flop, hoping he sometimes still folds some stuff and bloating the pot in order to be able to get a huge valuebet off on a river spade. It sucks if somehow he raises your turn bet tho. Your call.

As played make a note he's just an super loose calling station that likes pushing buttons when he hits any piece.

Hope it helps.