SSS is broken, do you think it can be saved?

• Catinthewall
      Catinthewall
      Bronze
      I tried for a whole month on SSS to make a profit, and my graph is a steady meandering course downwards, and downwards and farther. the few times I actually made a profit on a day, I was in the micro limits, or I had spent an hour getting a good seat with a LAG or a maniac on my right. Yesterday I tried BSS on 01/02, and bam, very nice profits. (where's the 2/4 on everest? :s_cry: )

The game was completely different. TAG doesn't mean wait for hole cards that probably will win and try to go all in, and when I played with a BSS, the shortstackers just dissolved, leaving other big stacks. the few that came along were mostly ignored, and now I see why I kept getting just the blinds when I openraised my AA from UTG1. :f_p:

I'm thinking about depositing my tiny bankroll somewhere else when the everest poker bonus expires, but in the meantime, I look at SSS and can't help but think "It teaches the Tight, it teaches the Agressive, but the lessons are flawed."

It teaches you to be so tight you pay more BB than you earn, unless you play at a table full of loose players. on NL2, that's occational. on NL10, that's like being dealt a royal flush. fun when it happens, but you can't possibly be expecting the right card to come up every time.

It teaches you to be so agressive, the people who've been paying attention won't even bother with the flop, you just aren't profitable with your small stack.

In a real ring game, these guys must be going "CALL CALL CALL." :s_evil:

I hear the sharks now, "BSS is playable with the starting capital, It should be taught first, and PS is a stupidhead for thinking it's still profitable." I agree that even it's current incarnation is flawed, people just don't play people who are that tight, and if they do, it's SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! AK verses The Pocket Pair! You buying for the whole seat, but you'll ONLY NEED THE TABLE.

Who knows who's gonna win, and even if it is the SS the blinds have shrunk the winnings, and the result is a net loss over time.

But I digress. I experimented with a table where buyins were 100-600 BB, bought in for the minimum, half of what the BSS demands, played the BSS tables with a slightly looser position play (followed three limpers with K-To, rather than just blindstealing, being willing to invest 4 BB in ATs+) and just rode with it. an hour later, I play a set of kings, double the 140 BBs I had, and left with a happy spring.

This could have been a fluke, but I'd like your opinion. Should SSS be revamped into a less broadcasty.. middle stack strategy? (Play mostly BSS, but start with 100bb rather than 200, and actually give it rebuy and cashout limits, say 80bb and 200, heavily warning the dangers of deepstacking)

Just like SSS, it allows a player to limit loss and play smart.
      Unlike the SSS, you don't look like a rock to everyone around you, people are willing to call your raises, and you learn to fold marginal hands. SSS implies that you should go all in with AA even if the flop is JQK suited. :f_wink:
  • 8 replies
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Catinthewall
      It teaches you to be so tight you pay more BB than you earn, unless you play at a table full of loose players. on NL2, that's occational. on NL10, that's like being dealt a royal flush.
      ahahahahahhahahaha
    • Catinthewall
      Catinthewall
      Bronze
      Okay, I exaggerated a little. In some places it's really hard to find a table with more than 3-4 bigstacks, Everest was like that the last month especially during the least active times thanks to the influx from PS. It's recovering slowly as they get raked out. :f_grin:
    • TetraQuark
      TetraQuark
      Bronze
      dude if u can`t beat nl2 nl10 and even nl25 while playing ABC poker there is something wrong with ur game... but I do admit that sites like iPoker and other low-traffic crap of pokersites are not very suitable for mass multitabling... still it can be beaten... so study more, play and examine your game... oh, and one month samplesize is far from enough...
    • Dendra
      Dendra
      Bronze
      imo, sss sucks, the amount of luck is at its maximum there because you often go all-in pre-flop or on flop, whereas in bss you actually "play poker".

the problem with using less than maximum buy-in is that big stackers wont respect you as much as they would if u had equal stacks. the more money you have as bss, the better, so why not buy-in for max - if you're on scared money or wish to learn the basics, go buy-in for minimum, happy camp with sss and hope for the best.
    • eikciR
      eikciR
      Basic
      Hmmm. I wish I could view the SSS and the BBB at at least bronze but I cannot get my capital as I can't provide ID.
    • Ave27
      Ave27
      Bronze
      Isn't there a black member from Russia who plays SSS. I believe it was in an interview in the video section and he mentioned how Russia community has a strong sss. i dunno doesn't seem broken to me if he can get black member status doing it.

I don't think the strategy is for every1 as i personally don't find it fun. For some1 who wants to grind it out it can make a good profit.
    • Navrark
      Navrark
      Bronze
      I tried SSS for a short time only, but my opinion of it is that it is a waste of time and effort.

Nav
    • Navrark
      Navrark
      Bronze
      Originally posted by eikciR
      Hmmm. I wish I could view the SSS and the BBB at at least bronze but I cannot get my capital as I can't provide ID.
      Just deposit money yourself. I was able to show an ID, but I am opposed to giving out my personal information unnecessarily.

InstaDebit is a great option if it's available to you.

Nav