This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] NL50: valuebetting the river?

• Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.25/$0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $55.30
      SB:
      $18.20
      BB(Hero):
      $50.00
      MP3:
      $20.45
      CO:
      $51.25

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9, A.
      MP3 calls $0.50, 2 folds, SB calls $0.25, Hero raises to $2.25, MP3 folds, SB calls $1.75.

Flop: ($5) 3, T, A (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($5) 7 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $3.25, SB calls $3.25.

River: ($11.5) Q (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $5.00, SB raises to $12.70(All-In), Hero calls $7.70.

Final Pot: $36.9.

Is my valuebet justified on the river? Villain is unknown. I can't fold against his shove right?
  • 5 replies
    • radyan111
      radyan111
      Bronze
      Why don't you cbet? My plan for this hand would be to bet flop, bet turn, cb river for two streets of value from lower aces or tens.
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Bronze
      Since he was unknown and my kicker wasn't all that good, I prefer to check back flop and bet or call turnbet.
    • csnmf
      csnmf
      Global
      I wouldn't mind check back flop if he was a full stack. The whole point in checking back flop is to pot control and to prevent getting c/r and having to fold our equity in the hand.

As you can see even though you check back flop you are still stacking off so we aren't afraid of a flop c/r really.

So i c-bet call it off, as played i can't fold.
    • Diedobal
      Diedobal
      Bronze
      Originally posted by csnmf
      I wouldn't mind check back flop if he was a full stack. The whole point in checking back flop is to pot control and to prevent getting c/r and having to fold our equity in the hand.

As you can see even though you check back flop you are still stacking off so we aren't afraid of a flop c/r really.

So i c-bet call it off, as played i can't fold.
      I agree.

Vs a 38bb player there is no reason to potcontrol. So just bet/bet/.. If he has a better kicker so be it.. you're not gonna fold either way.

Vs a big stack I like a check back on flop very much on this dry board.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I think A9 is good enough to play for his stack, so I´d c-bet flop, bet turn and shove river
      b/c river is fine