[NL2-NL10] Pocket Jacks Min-Raised Pot

• Navrark

UTG1 always min-raises when first in to the pot, and with stupid hands like K5s in the early position. I also noticed that he will put out a large raise to $0.10 if he has a good hand like when he had KK. Consequently I had no fear of him having a good hand.

The Button seemed like a smart TAG player with good reads on other players; either that or he was just getting lucky. I figured I could shake them both with a Raise and so I treated my JJ like it was an unraised pot.

Do you think I played this right? I was fearful that he had something good, because his bet on the Turn was exactly equal to my stack size. That's what had me convinced he probably had a hand, that he measured out his bet so precisely...

I suspect he probably hit a Set, though he may have been semi-bluffing a Flush Draw.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:

Preflop: Hero is BB with J, J.
      UTG1 raises to $0.04, 5 folds, BU calls $0.04, SB folds, Hero raises to $0.16, UTG1 folds, BU calls $0.12.

Flop: ($0.37) 8, 4, 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.20, BU raises to $0.40, Hero calls $0.20.

Turn: ($1.17) Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $2.08, Hero folds, BU gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.17.

• 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

I'd make it bigger preflop, at least $0.2.

You're probably thinking a bit too much for nl2. BU called a minraise and called a 3-bet, then minraised a drawy flop, i don't think you can put a "smart reg" tag on him with any confidence. If you've played with him long enough to start formulating such "reads", you probably didn't pick up on the really important stuff that would help you decide in that situation. How often he raised bets, how often he bet himself, how active he was overall.

If he's no tag at all he could very well just have some kind of top pairs, small overpair or pair+gutshot hands as well as flushdraws and still make that minraise, in which case 3-betting and going broke would be fine. If he's a really passive player then it might not even be worth continuing on the flop against a nut range.

Hope it helps.