This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] HU flopped top 2

• Washdogg
      Washdogg
      Silver
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $94.85
      BB:
      $50.50

0.25/0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (2 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with K:club: , 8:spade:
      Hero raises to $1.50, BB calls $1.00.

Flop: ($3.00) 8:club: , K:diamond: , 6:club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $2.50, BB raises to $5.25, Hero raises to $9.75, BB calls $4.50.

Turn: ($22.50) 7:heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $14.00, BB raises to $28.00, Hero raises to $53.25, BB raises to $39.25 (All-In).

River: ($115.00) 8:diamond: (1 players)

Final Pot: $115.00

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a full-house, eights full of kings (Kc 8s)
      BB shows a straight, eight high (5c 4h)

Hero wins with a full-house, eights full of kings (Kc 8s)

Now I'd been picking away at this guy and beat him for almost a full buyin like 15 minutes into the match so I think he was steaming a little. That being said I flopped a really strong hand and obviously bet on a pretty wet board for protection. After being check raised I thought it was most likely for him to have an A high flush draw or a set. On second thought, I honestly believe by his preflop play throughout the match that he would have 3bet any pair so now I'm thinking his most likely hands here are strong flush draws (A, Q and possibly J), OESDs, Strong Kings and two pairs; all of which I have crushed. With that, what is the proper raise size? When I raise for protection and value like this am I wanting draws to fold or am I wanting them to pay too much and call? I think I made a small raise so that I'm not raising so much that a strong one pair or weak two pair like AK, KQ, 68 or K6 is calling me and is committed on the turn.

If I had a chance to replay the hand I think I'd prefer to reraise a little bigger, perhaps to 13ish. I'd really love to see some feedback as I find this "protection vs. value" subject to be quite interesting.
  • 1 reply