Poker? Or another P word?

• Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      I do not like whining, but at this time I really consider poker to be perverted. Yes, I had the same thoughts in the beginning when I played, with no skill included. Recently however I have been seriously improving my tournament game, and was getting to the final tables and winning more than a fair share of SNG tournaments, until I fixed even more leaks and was finally winning several days in a row, (even cashed out a considerable sum having been placed first or in the top 2-5 in many games) to make it profitable. Or so I thought. [My ROI increased from -12% to +6% within those few days (having been around -60% about 6 months earlier)] I then went to work for a little less than 2 weeks, came back and won a few more tournaments quite easily, when the perversion began. It started when I was busted out in a qualifier to LAPT, placing 5th, if I am not mistaken, where the first 2 would get the package. This is not something too weird in poker, and I had been sucked out in similiar ways before. But from that day on I have not been able to win any tournaments whatsoever. The highest and single placing was a 5th place in a 180 person SNG. Surely, I made some stupid mistakes, like trying to isolate a small stack with TT when I was quite comfortable with my standing, only by getting called by QQ from a large stack, but I am not talking about stupid plays I have made, as they are not that many to account for what has been going on.

Whenever I have had QQ or KK, someone has either KK or AA, or has something in the lines of 99 and gets his two outer. And even if I manage to suck out with a crappy hand when shortstacked, it does not matter, when I get busted the very next one with a premium holding.

I figured that the only way to win poker is to fold every hand, except aces (and at the moment I am even doubting that), and steal with any two cards, and hope the blinds fold, or I suck out with 72o, or whatever I may be holding. The last few days have been so perverted it can ever get, with hardly anything left from the cashout I made. And for the majority of it, I really doubt, it has to do anything with skill. Unless such plays as calling with KK as a bigstack on BB vs another bigstack from late position (any position) is a big mistake. Perhaps I should not look at my cards at all, as any two can obviously win.

Has anybody else experienced something similiar? And how do you cope with it?
  • 25 replies
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      Completely standard and can last for days..weeks..or months
    • Washdogg
      Washdogg
      Bronze
      yeah dude, like 2 weeks ago this was happening to me in MTTs, SnGs and cash games. I legit thought the site was rigged against me like KK vs AA, AK vs 72s and losing, TT vs JQ and losing like every other hand it was happening and to make things worse I began to tilt. But I kept grinding and kept grinding until a couple weeks later I won a tourney, next day I finished 2nd in another, next day I finished 3rd and since then I`ve gone back to crushing cash games and even went 4 1sts in a row on the Rio tournaments and 2nd in the following 2 for another almost 500.

Point isn`t how much I won, just that it does happen and you really just have to let it run its course. Try not to think of it as getting sucked out on, think of it as you made the proper play and someone else made an improper play. The only way to not get tilted is to not think of poker in terms of who wins and who loses. Don`t be happy if you get stuck behind say with 99 vs KK and hit your 9, be upset that you got your money in in a bad spot. Think in terms of correct vs. incorrect moves not in terms of wins vs. loses. Hope this helps a little bit, just letting you know there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

"I move, you see the back of my Nikes. I got to the end of the tunnel... and I was the light." - Lil Wayne
    • Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      I know you are right, but right now the only light I see at the end of the tunnel is that of a train. :P
    • antonin87
      antonin87
      Bronze
      varience is like the gravity...endless bitch :D :D :D
    • Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      Perversion it is.

I'm low on blinds and trying to steal. Most of the time they do call, mostly with a weaker hand and 80% of the time they hit. Does not matter, if I steal with Ace high, or a medium pocket. Give them one overcard, and they will hit trips, or at least their pair. That is, if they are not holding kings or aces.

Go all in with aces or kings: Insta-lose. Either some clever lad is trying to bluff with some crap and hits two pair or a runner runner straight or flush, or a smaller pocket pair calls and hits. Or an (crappy)ace high, when I have kings. A variation of this has happened six times in a row now.

Haven't had a chance to steal, and the first hand I can, the blind turns up aces or kings. AK, if I am lucky. Either that, or has a weaker hand and hits it.

Defending my blind as a lowstack: Same thing as stealing. On occasion the villain has a pair one higher. ie I have eights, he has nines. Have never hit a set there.

When there is a shortstack who would bust before me, then he/she get almost always doubled up. Mostly by a miracle hand, or bigstacks calling with total crap.

This is lightyears away from normalcy.
    • Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      Better off playing bingo, than poker, it seems. It is IDIOTIC, when villains hit their 2 or 3 outer every single time, all the time, every morning, every day, every evening and every single night.

I would not believe this myself, if I didn't see it.

I'd ask a refund, if this were ever possible. As this is not normal. It is either a mathemathical anomaly, or it is indeed rigged. There can be no other explanation to this downswing.

Lost again two DON's. First by stealing with AQs, villain called with K6o and got trip sixes. Lost a second DON defending my blind (as I would not had nothing left otherwise) with 77. Villain had J6 and hit his jack. And this is not just the current session, this is happening every single session. Every single day for the last week. Losing pockets, when the villain has only one pair he can hit, or an Ace high to trips. And I thought DON's were one of the easiest forms of poker. The downswing was the reason I started playing them in the first place, as it was clearly impossible to cash in in a real tournament at all.

I wonder, how was I able to make a nice profit the week before, winning most of the tournaments I entered. Maybe Pokerstars does not like people cashing out. Seem ridiculous to say so, as they should have no reason to cheat. But there must be a reason to this happening. And I really do not like having my money stolen in broad daylight. (Or in the moonlight, for that matter)
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      penis?
    • Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      That is just an anatomical word for a body part.

Another DON. Two QQ in a row. All in, AKs called, got a flush on the flop. 55 Chips left, another QQ, two callers, one had TT and got a straight.

The perversion never ends.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      someone just sat down with me at a 215$ HU sng. he reraised all in almost every hand. i got AK and called. he had 82s. flop: 2T6Q4. down 6 buyins this evening aka 1000$ this evening.
    • Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      Yes, that sucks. Especially because of the high buy in. But I am sure it does not happen all the time.

There would not be poker without bad beats, but they should not happen all the time.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      i just mention it to put your whines into perspective. your poker career (if you learn to handle variance and survive long enough) is going to have so many suckouts and bad beats you won't believe it. what you're expiriencing at the moment is peanuts compared to what's comming to you.
      At some point you'll start to get immune to the feeling of unjustice and you can lose AA vs 57o 5 times in a row and laugh about it.

good luck

oh just lost a 525$ HU AK vs A9 tihi. that was FUN
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      yeah but u dont mentoin when your AQ sucks out AK or when your QQ sucks out KK. it goes both ways
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      i never sucked out on anyone
    • Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      Thank you. :) Well, it is something I did not know to expect on this scale, as indeed my poker career is still in its infancy.

It may have been wrong to write about it in a somewhat whining way, but it's done.

Still there is one huge upside to the whole thing, as it gets one searching for more leaks one's game, and eliminating them. Thus, the downswings help to improve one's game. :P

Originally posted by fun101rockets
      yeah but u dont mentoin when your AQ sucks out AK or when your QQ sucks out KK. it goes both ways
      True. It is part of human psychology, that good things are taken for granted. Yes, I have sucked out on many occasions. The sickest one was, when I sucked out an AA set with my KK quads. It is sucking out, or getting sucked out. I just haven't seen the same type of hands doing that in a row.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      you do seem to be a positive person able to cope with critisism, im sure you'll be fine :f_p:
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ihufa
      i never sucked out on anyone
      liar, it is impossible to have won as many tournies as u have without sucking out on people.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Styr, how many buyins are you down?

And yeah, Aces and Kings can and WILL lose a few times in a row. That's so cause variance doesn't care about previous and next outcomes of hands. Accept it and be happy when retards call you with such cards.

Like just yesterday in one session on 8 tables during the course of 5 hands I was dealt AA on three tables and a QQ on another one. Two of the AA lost, one to set, the other to a flush, the third got the blinds, the QQ lost a pre-flop all-in to 9Ts when he was like 3% chance to win this hand.

I just laughed and told my wife about it and she responded: Well, you'll win sooner or later!

That's all about it really - play like you're supposed to, put in some volume and you will win. :f_biggrin :f_cool:
    • Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      I am down about 90 buy-ins from last week.