Searching ways to improve NL5 stats

• Duudalinja
      Duudalinja
      Bronze
      Hello,

I've been playing for a while now in NL5 and I feel comfortable there. Thing I'm worried about is my win rate. As you see I win only 1.84BB/h, which as far as I know is WAY too low for these limits. Usually finishing my sessions with positive result, but sometimes it's really low (0-3$,0-2BB/h), sometimes it's more or less ok (10+$ and 4BB/h+) and had some downswings as well with -14$. I made promise to myself - I won't move up the limits until I won't sort this out and improve my winning rate. I play 6 FR tables at the same time and feeling good with it.
      I'm just looking for some advice on things I should improve and leaks I should stop.
      First, I believe my VPIP rate is too low, but I don't really how to improve it, because I'm playing solid range of starting hands, not only monsters.
      Second, PFR should be higher, but I'm improving it already, there's just huge hand count and it's not noticeable yet. Same for AFq - should I be more aggressive overall?
      Third, too few 3bets. I just don't feel comfortable with 3bets... Same for folding to 3bets, isn't 85% too much?
      Fourth, blinds. More stealing, more defense, less folding. Again - I don't fell comfortable when it comes to defending and stealing.
      Thanks in advance and I hope this thread will hope us all. :)

(these stats are NL2 and NL5 together)

P.S. These are preflop stats, but it could the postflop which is leaking... :)
  • 6 replies
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      NEVER CHANGE YOUR PLAY TO MANIPULATE STATS

... but ...

Originally posted by Duudalinja
      First, I believe my VPIP rate is too low, but I don't really how to improve it, because I'm playing solid range of starting hands, not only monsters.
      Show us your VPIP/PFR by position.

Second, PFR should be higher, but I'm improving it already, there's just huge hand count and it's not noticeable yet. Same for AFq - should I be more aggressive overall?
      Yes, but you need to find the correct places to do it.

Third, too few 3bets. I just don't feel comfortable with 3bets... Same for folding to 3bets, isn't 85% too much?
      At this limit you probably won't have much chance to 3-bet. If a 40/0 raises you should fold everything but Aces and Kings. If you can find good spots to 3-bet then try it out, but this isn't really the goal at this limit. I don't see why 85% fold to 3-bet is too much. Once again I doubt you are facing them much at this limit and it's probably correct to fold at least 85% of the time.

Fourth, blinds. More stealing, more defense, less folding. Again - I don't fell comfortable when it comes to defending and stealing.
      More stealing, less defense, more c-bets on the steals. Your opponents aren't going to have a range here so why try to play the guessing game? If you have a good hand just re-raise otherwise fold. These guys will hand their money over elsewhere.

Don't try to get too fancy until well beyond NL25. As you hit NL10 and NL25 you will have to make small adjustments against the other grinders, but don't forget the solid game that got you through NL2 and NL5.

At these limits just play ABC poker. Open raise, bet when you hit, fold when give you resistance. Save the fancy stuff for later when it actually means something.
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      At a glance I would say you aren't value betting enough. (High WTS, High W$SD)

+ Calling from BB and playing check/fold.

+ what tokyoaces said.
    • Duudalinja
      Duudalinja
      Bronze
      Thank you guys for responses.
      tokoyaces, I'm not working to manipulate stats, I'm using stats to know how to manipulate my playing style. :) I've already posted table with stats from different positions, look near the end of my first post.
      So as far as I understand from your advices it's fine with 3bets, but I should bet more from proper positions, avoid useless tricks and stick to the basic ABC plan.
      john, this high WTS is because often I feel playing way ahead/way behind - I don't know where I really stand, so I'm trying to get to showdown as cheap as possible and sometimes it's check/check till the end. After showdown it just turns out I'm often leading. :) I could try to work on that, I'm just really trying to avoid going broke and loosing money, unless I'm more or less sure about my hand and my opponent.
      BB check/fold play could be a leak, I've noticed it lately. I call with marginal hands like KQ, QJ, AJ, etc. and on flop if missed it it's horrible situation - I'm oop, without hand and I'm not the preflop aggressor. Most times I have no reason to continue playing and calling opps cbet.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      tokoyaces, I'm not working to manipulate stats, I'm using stats to know how to manipulate my playing style. :) I've already posted table with stats from different positions, look near the end of my first post.
      Oh, so you did ... You seem to be completely ignoring your position with regards to your starting hands. As you move from early to late position it should be a sharp transition up. By the time you hit the CO and the BU you should be near or above 20%. If you want to improve your win rate you definitely need to think more positionally.
    • Duudalinja
      Duudalinja
      Bronze
      Ok, thanks, gonna work on that.
      What is more or less normal BB/100 winning rate at these limits?
      (BB - big bets as in Poker Tracker)
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      What is more or less normal BB/100 winning rate at these limits?
      It's normal to lose. Just keep on winning.