Bonus Whoring - Seeking Advice

• woopstash
      woopstash
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

I'm sure there's threads about this but I can't seem to find them.

Are there any good guides or blogs regarding bonus whoring? There are a ton of great looking first deposit bonuses to be had using PS codes, so I'm hoping someone could send me on the right track.

I started playing at Party late last year and took 25 to 100 bucks. After clearing the starting capital at full tilt, I deposited the Party money to Full Tilt and am now about 40% through clearing the 100% bonus. After, I hope to possibly withdraw and deposit on a new site and start working on a new bonus. Coupled with playing winning poker at 10NL, I should be able to really build my roll to hopefully snuggle in back with Full Tilt because I just love it there so far and the rakeback is a nice touch.

Anyway, If anyone could either give me some advice, or point me to a thread that will have this info, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks guys
  • 21 replies
    • Kojika
      Kojika
      Bronze
      Pokerstars' first deposit bonus is quite easy to clear.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by woopstash
      Are there any good guides or blogs regarding bonus whoring?
      It's against the PokerStrategy TOS to link to them, but if you just google "bonus whoring" you will find the best site on the internet.
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      Hi woopstash, I too am looking to move to a new site having just cleared a FDB (currently on 888). Like you I have been looking for info but not finding much.

I am looking to play NL20/NL25/NL30 and NL50 depending on what tables are available. I would be looking to play 6-8 tables for 4 hours 4-6 days each week.

I currently pick up just over 100 SP a day and would expect to do about the same on another site. Can anybody out there tell me what sites would be good to move to from the bonus side of things as well as from a reasonable selection of tables? What level of bonuses would I be able to clear on various sites considering my current volume?

It is easy to find what bonuses are available but difficult to find what level of bonus I may be able to clear on different sites and if they are cleared in stages or all at once.

@woopstash - Sorry if it seems that I am hijacking your thread but I think our goals are similar enough that any answers would apply to us both.
    • woopstash
      woopstash
      Bronze
      @tokyoaces : Yeah, I've found some "external" articles ;) , but was hoping for a PStrat thread as I'd like to be supporting this site by using its referral codes. Also, I'd be earning PS points here by using the codes.

@Fagin : you jerk! haha. No problem. Better to have the info in one thread than 5 semi-similar threads.

Maybe one of us will need to write a Poker Strategy micro stacks bonus whoring guide. The problem with my situation is that I'll probably only get around 15k hands per month so I don't know how effective that will be in fully clearing bonuses. Being newly married isn't a great time to ignore the wife.

I'm wondering if its even possible playing NL10 and possibly, hopefully NL20/25 to effectively clear bonuses. And I'm not sure that playing at some bullshit site (ie. Titan (worst interface going)) is worth it.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      TBH your better off with a rakeback deal, than bonus whoring.
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      woopstash - I would probably suggest that you climb a couple limits nd enjoy the FT rakeback before going bonus whoring... to get the most out of the bonuses it is best to be able to deposit the full amounts and clear them pretty quickly, so why not wait til you're at NL50/100?
    • woopstash
      woopstash
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice. I did some calculations with some numbers I pulled from PT3 and it seems that, as suggested, NL10 doesn't make it worthwhile. I'll share the numbers I pulled and maybe it can help others out. Maybe it can be corrected too if I did it wrong.

Average hours/week = 21
      Average MGR/1000 hands @ NL10 = $11.27
      Average hands/hour = 70
      Multitable # = 6

Staying at Full Tilt with 27% Rakeback

Hands/week = hours * tables * hands/hour
      = 21 * 6 * 70
      = 8820 hands/week

MGR/week = [hands/week] * [MGR/1000hands]
      = 8820 * [11.27/1000]
      = $99.40 MGR/week

Rakeback/week = [MGR/week] * .27
      = $26.8/week

Rakeback for 6 months (PS bonus deadline) = [rakeback/week] * 27 weeks
      = 26.8 * 27
      = $723.60

Clearing a Pokerstars Bonus

Using the VIP calculator on the Pokerstars site (I can post link if I'm allowed, not sure on the rules), it shows I can produce 1197 VPPs per month using the numbers used above.

So in 6 months, I'll produce 7182 VPPs. Needing 17VPPs per dollar released, this would release ~$422.

The decision
      I know the points amassed at Pokerstars can be used to turn into cash, but as of now, theres a 723 - 422 = $301 difference.

As suggested, its clearly not worth switching sites until you play a level that can quickly clear bonuses.

Hope this helps someone that is in the same shoes.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice. I did some calculations with some numbers I pulled from PT3 and it seems that, as suggested, NL10 doesn't make it worthwhile.
      These days you need to be playing $1/$2 limit or NL50 to really get into the bonus whoring. Otherwise rakeback is really the best deal.

I have some stats from the good-old-days that would make you cry though. No one even cared about winning back then. Just break-even and collect those fat Party bonuses that cleared after 200-300 raked hands. Good times!
    • Gafny
      Gafny
      Bronze
      not sure how updated it is but

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=37521
    • extpan
      extpan
      Bronze
      hi,i would say you something about bonus whoring but that would be against ruls so if you want add me on skype and i will tell you best route...
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      I guess people dont understand why its better just been on a rakeback tracker....

All rakeback is, is a never ending bonus. Plus RB is better value generally.
    • Gafny
      Gafny
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PocketAcesJohn
      I guess people dont understand why its better just been on a rakeback tracker....

not every room supports rakeback
    • woopstash
      woopstash
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gredal

What he's saying is find one that does, and stay there.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze

That is why you play at a room that DOES offer rakeback.....DURRRR!
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze

What he's saying is find one that does, and stay there.
      yup yup =)
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Or just play at pokerstars.....

;)
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MrMardyBum
      Or just play at pokerstars.....

;)
      Pokerstars is crap for bonus's unless you a mega hardcore grinder....
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Each to their own.... I made quite a nice little profit that would blow FTP's rakeback out of the water when I was playing regular. And I was only playing at NL25 and NL50... Test the theory before you slate it ;)
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Everest constantly sends me offers that are 56% rakeback. First deposit bonuses are usually way above the 27% and 33% you can get from Cake and Tilt respectively.

Also, as we all know, if you put in sick volume then Stars SN and SNE are a lot better than 27% as well.

However, for 99% of poker players a straight up FTP rakeback deal is going to be the best. It's a site with excellent traffic and you get your rakeback weekly regardless of your volume.