[NL2-NL10] NL5 A9 fdraw

• Duudalinja
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      CO (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9, A.
      MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.05, Hero calls $0.05, 2 folds, BB raises to $0.16, MP3 calls $0.11, Hero calls $0.11.

Flop: ($0.5) 2, J, K (3 players)
      BB bets $0.30, MP3 folds, Hero calls $0.30.

Turn: ($1.1) J (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.60, BB raises to $1.20, Hero calls $0.60.

River: ($3.5) K (2 players)
      BB bets $0.80, Hero folds, BB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $3.5.

No comments about preflop, limping with such cards clearly not the best idea, but MP2 was loose enough to give a shot.

So postflop game - called cbet with intention to look at action on river.

As he checked I did a bet as he could have an king or something and called his minraise - not really sure if it was right decision, because it already shows his strenght. But anyway, he had full stack so in case of flush I thought I had good implied odds because of position, his stack size and my turn bet. Or am I totally wrong? :)

River - missed everything, useless to call. Was a bit confused about his small bet, but I won't guess what he had.

Any opinions?

• 2 replies
    • Mstlc
      Pre-flop: raise. A9s is good enough to raise on the CO and it would be nice if you could isolate the fish and play a heads-up pot against him in position. As played call vs BB raise, you've got a decent hand and more importantly you've got position for the rest of the hand.

On the flop: you're not really getting pot odds but I guess you got some implied odds. So the call is fine considering there's 2 more streets to come.

Turn: depends a bit. If the player on the BB has a high c-bet % I am betting here as his turn check is often an indication of him giving up in that case. Against someone with a lower c-bet % I'm just checking behind here cause a player with a lower c-bet % usually doesn't bet this flop if he doesn't have a made hand in which case he's never gonna fold his hand here.

River: easy fold.

PS: make a note on this guy that he c-bets the flop and then check/min-raises the turn on a drawy board.
    • MaestroOfZerg

A9s trumps MP3's range for open limping, you need to try and get into pots with bad players when you're in position by widening your opening range.

On the flop calling is fine, I might raise since his bet looks weakish but given his sizing preflop maybe he just sucks at choosing correct bet sizes.

Turn I'd also stab when in doubt but make it bigger at least $0.7 so that he can't just decide "i'm check/folding. ho wait it's a smallish bet, guess i'm calling then". When he check/minraises i'm really not happy, we might not even have live outs at this point. I guess both cautiously calling and plain folding are fine.

On the river frankly I don't think he takes that line with Kx so i'm tempted to shove in theory. In practice it's doubtful such a bad player can find a fold with Jx which he very likely has, so just folding is probably safer.

Hope it helps.