This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] NL50 98s steal raise

• Washdogg
      Washdogg
      Silver
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $71.84
      Hero:
      $64.18

0.25/0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (4 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.74 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with 9:spade: , 8:spade:
      CO folds, Hero raises to $2.00, SB raises to $6.50, BB folds, Hero calls $4.50.

Flop: ($13.50) K:spade: , 3:heart: , 9:heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $8.00, Hero calls $8.00.

Turn: ($29.50) 5:spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($29.50) 5:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $18.00, Hero calls $18.00.

Final Pot: $65.50

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows two pairs, nines and fives (9s 8s)
      SB shows a pair of fives (Tc 8c)

Hero wins with two pairs, nines and fives (9s 8s)

So I decide to make a pretty standard steal w/ suited connectors and face a reraise from a fairly tight, fairly deep SB and decided to try to hit a flop. Not a terrible board for me 2nd pair and a backdoor flush so I call his cbet (100% btw) with the intention of floating. The turn brings a spade and villain checks and I decide that since his AF is so low I can't call a raise if I bet here and if I bet and get raised I just wasted a lot of unnecessary $$ on a poorly played hand. So instead I check behind to try to hit one of my 14 outs and to try to induce a bluff. The river brings a pretty harmless 5 and a decent sized bet that I don't think he's making with QQ, JJ, TT or KQ- but that I feel he's only making with AK, KK, AA(all of which I don't think he's checking the turn with), 55 or complete air so I call him down. I think I played the hand quite well especially with the audible I called by checking the turn, I just want to know if the coaches agree with my thought process and the entire hand overall.
  • 3 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      pf and flop is standard
      if you bet turn you have to shove or call shove, since he can c/r sometimes with flushdraws that you beat or if he has Kx then you have enough equity.
      You can call river bet although a lot of times you also see there Kx or AA that went pot control or c/rai on the turn
    • Moorii
      Moorii
      Bronze
      What would be the standard if Vilain 2nd barrel ? Shove there ?

Preflop is standard ??, i mean calling with 98s is profitable 100BB deep in position ??
      You must be stealing a lot postflop to make the call preflop profitbable is it ?
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      hero is 128bb deep, so calling a little more than 100bb is ok. It all depends on the player who 3-bets you, against nit it is likely a bit loosing but if player is laggy I don´t see any reason who not play that hand ip.
      if villain 2 barrels there- I think ti depends again if you´re willing to call river shove when blank comes or even if it is A, Q, J or heart.
      A lot of bad river cards that he might shove and you can´t be sure that you´re ahead or not.
      I think shoving turn, you have some fold equity, a lot of equity against one pair hands and if he has there draw, you´re also protecting your hand
      So yes, I like shoving more than calling or folding