Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $71.84
      Hero:
      $64.18

0.25/0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (4 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.74 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with 9:spade: , 8:spade:
      CO folds, Hero raises to $2.00, SB raises to $6.50, BB folds, Hero calls $4.50.

Flop: ($13.50) K:spade: , 3:heart: , 9:heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $8.00, Hero calls $8.00.

Turn: ($29.50) 5:spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($29.50) 5:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $18.00, Hero calls $18.00.

Final Pot: $65.50

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows two pairs, nines and fives (9s 8s)
      SB shows a pair of fives (Tc 8c)

Hero wins with two pairs, nines and fives (9s 8s)

So I decide to make a pretty standard steal w/ suited connectors and face a reraise from a fairly tight, fairly deep SB and decided to try to hit a flop. Not a terrible board for me 2nd pair and a backdoor flush so I call his cbet (100% btw) with the intention of floating. The turn brings a spade and villain checks and I decide that since his AF is so low I can't call a raise if I bet here and if I bet and get raised I just wasted a lot of unnecessary $$ on a poorly played hand. So instead I check behind to try to hit one of my 14 outs and to try to induce a bluff. The river brings a pretty harmless 5 and a decent sized bet that I don't think he's making with QQ, JJ, TT or KQ- but that I feel he's only making with AK, KK, AA(all of which I don't think he's checking the turn with), 55 or complete air so I call him down. I think I played the hand quite well especially with the audible I called by checking the turn, I just want to know if the coaches agree with my thought process and the entire hand overall.
  • 3 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      pf and flop is standard
      if you bet turn you have to shove or call shove, since he can c/r sometimes with flushdraws that you beat or if he has Kx then you have enough equity.
      You can call river bet although a lot of times you also see there Kx or AA that went pot control or c/rai on the turn
    • Moorii
      Moorii
      Silver
      What would be the standard if Vilain 2nd barrel ? Shove there ?

Preflop is standard ??, i mean calling with 98s is profitable 100BB deep in position ??
      You must be stealing a lot postflop to make the call preflop profitbable is it ?
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      hero is 128bb deep, so calling a little more than 100bb is ok. It all depends on the player who 3-bets you, against nit it is likely a bit loosing but if player is laggy I don´t see any reason who not play that hand ip.
      if villain 2 barrels there- I think ti depends again if you´re willing to call river shove when blank comes or even if it is A, Q, J or heart.
      A lot of bad river cards that he might shove and you can´t be sure that you´re ahead or not.
      I think shoving turn, you have some fold equity, a lot of equity against one pair hands and if he has there draw, you´re also protecting your hand
      So yes, I like shoving more than calling or folding