The Poker Stigma.

• MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Okay, I have quite a large base of people I know, I wouldn't say friends because frankly I couldn't care a less if I never saw some of them again.
      Anyway, before I go wandering of into randomness, here's my question that I throw to the debate of poker strategy users.

How do you (When you are playing poker as a pass time and regularly) deal with small minded people that say poker is just gambling?

I mean I have good friends who take the time to chat about and discuss why poker is more skill than luck based and most see my point of view, but then you get certain jerks that just point blank refuse to accept that poker is more of a sport than a lotto. Has anyone else had these experiences? I know poker has now become more main steam but still these people wind me up to the point where I usually have to leave their company or I know I'll go on to smack them one. I mean I am all for letting people have their own views and faiths in life but seriously it winds me up when people don't at least take a little time to understand what they are slagging off.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing your views :)
  • 9 replies
    • ShadowOfLight1337
      ShadowOfLight1337
      Bronze
      If you're playing poker the least you could do in such a situation is control yourself.

Think of it as tilt. Calm down and let the fish lose their money and forget about proving who's right or wrong, because... well frankly, It doesn't matter.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      That's why I said I have to walk away.... :rolleyes:
    • TetraQuark
      TetraQuark
      Bronze
      bahh.. just let them be in their own ignorance... and when around them dont mention poker... easiest way =)
    • richard1817
      richard1817
      Bronze
      I remember one fish at uni came back to my flat after a drunken night out. We decided to start a nl50 cash game £££. The guys famous drunken slurred words 'richard you play poker online don't ya! its all luuaaackk isn't it' In his annoying essex akcent. After tanking with 62s for 10mintues with 2 raises behind. You can imagine how long he lastted
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Things I don't do:
      * Talk about finance with anyone who hasn't taken high level finance courses.
      * Discuss religion with anyone ever.
      * Discuss the lottery with anyone who hasn't taken statistics, game theory or other high level math.

etc, etc, etc.

Granted I tend to keep a lot of very well educated friends, but when I encounter people who have strong opinions on topics they know nothing about I just find something better to talk about.

(I've found most people who completed university will gladly defer to those with more knowledge on any given topic. If someone is truly interested I might briefly discuss the skill component of poker, but generally it doesn't make for interesting small talk.)
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tokyoaces
      Things I don't do:
      * Talk about finance with anyone who hasn't taken high level finance courses.
      * Discuss religion with anyone ever.
      * Discuss the lottery with anyone who hasn't taken statistics, game theory or other high level math.

etc, etc, etc.

Granted I tend to keep a lot of very well educated friends, but when I encounter people who have strong opinions on topics they know nothing about I just find something better to talk about.

(I've found most people who completed university will gladly defer to those with more knowledge on any given topic. If someone is truly interested I might briefly discuss the skill component of poker, but generally it doesn't make for interesting small talk.)
      :O Go to to your room and don't come out until you think it's interesting :tongue:

Obviously you lot are of the same opinion... FINE! Just me then ?(
    • PushMeUp
      PushMeUp
      Basic
      These people are called closed minded people. Most probably have a routine which they stuck to day in, day out. Don't really vary their opinions and once they believe something it would take full solid proof and then letting them be slapped in the face a few times for them to even believe it.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      I avoid talking poker with people that don't play seriously
    • Ave27
      Ave27
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      I avoid talking poker with people that don't play seriously
      this... they just don't understand.