MTT PRO/COACH help please on my MTT bustout on pokerstars

• blankcheque
      blankcheque
      Bronze
      Hi, I played a $2500 freeroll on Pokerstars last night with over 8000 entrants. We are down to the last 50 and im in 2nd place. I should mention the payout structure is 1st $800 6th $115 and 10th $20 to give you a rough idea. I am 60000 chips behind leader then i cant really find a playable hand for two blind rounds plus there is a lot of heavy betting and all ins going on. All of a sudden i have slipped to 18th 750000 chips behind the leader. Finally i get to see a hand on the big blind for free and hit the flop but end up losing the hand and 3/4 of my stack and drop to 43 out of 45. I build it back up a bit and find Kj but by now the big blind is 50000 and i am going to be on it next if i dont play the kj and i got 228000 chips so i go all in. 1 caller on 6 10 off he hits a 6. my tournament over! Finished 39th

1, Should i have gambled before dropping to 18th or better to protect my stack.
      2, should i have gone all in with the kj off.

Any help from pros or coaches is greatly appreciated.
  • 4 replies
    • ok1234ok
      ok1234ok
      Bronze
      Nice move

PS: New to MTT :tongue:
    • Svizac28
      Svizac28
      Bronze
      I'm not a pro but I'll offer my humble opinion:

1. Sometimes you just get card starved for a while. It's normal and I dont think you being patient was a bad thing. Did you steal the blinds when you were on button during that time?

2. When you're in push or fold phase (eg. when you have less than 10 big blinds in your stack), KJo is perfectly fine hand to go allin preflop. you did get called and lost but nevertheless it was a good decision
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      with 4BB left and with antes you should be shoving almost any 2 from UTG

dropping down to 18th when card dead is fine if the tables loose and aggressive, it happens. it only takes one double up to get back out in front

good play
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Silver
      KJ in this position is an easy shove imo.
      What might be more useful for you would be to post the hand that you lost 3/4 of your stack with?
      Other than that seems ok.
      One thing to remember with mtts is that you always lose more tornaments than you cash, its just the nature of mtts, especially those with big fields.