Too many auto-pilot sessions. (back 2 old bad habits while playing)

• RoyG85
      RoyG85
      Bronze
      Ey everyone,

I have a problem with my poker game, when i play, am focused and conscience about my decision making, i play fairly OK ABC so far and seem to make the right decisions. Also am learning everyday, analyzing hands etc and feel the improvement in my knowledge.

However, i seem to have a really big problem. I still get too many sessions where i get into the wrong mind state while playing, making too fast decisions and not thinking over stuff properly. Ive tried a few things like taking breaks every 500 hands and playing max 4 tables, this worked for a bit, but somehow i can't seem to make this conscious way of playing poker a standard for my game, and it seems i need to really force myself into doing this.

Then i had a really good night session playing for 8hrs straight making right decisions on 6 tables. So i figured i could do it now, started again during the day same stuff 6 tables, thinking i was there already. And it turned again into old habits of emotional rush decision poker. These sessions are a huge killer to my succes rate in bankroll outcome.

Was wondering if anyone used to have the same problem, and how he/she handled it. Any advice is very helpfull. I am not planning to give up whatsoever, caus i notice myself improving everyday as long as i play focused, and get good sessions when doing so.

Basically i really need to overcome this problem, since at this point it is the biggest issue in my game and to grow further i need to overcome this. This problem is vital to my future as a player, so any help on this or share of experience will be more than appreciated.

Best regards!
  • 7 replies
    • roswellx
      roswellx
      Bronze
      Dude, I have the same problem but this is normal. I mean human brain loves to put the things into auto pilot mode so it reduces work load. If you really want to analyze the game while playing, you should play no more than 4 tables.

I suggest before sitting to play, you make a decision are you playing for grinding or live analysis (to improve ur game)?

If for grinding open more tables and play straight forward ABC poker.

If for analysis, open 4 tables and only watch the tables even when you're not involved in the hand. Take notes and try to guess others cards. Once number of your successive guesses exceeds failed ones then you will start to recognize the betting patterns when you actually multi table...
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      try to spend more time post-session to analyze your game as well.

so you have times to think through the hands again, where you played in auto-pilot mode.

this will help tune your brain to the idea of thinking about the poker hands.
    • RoyG85
      RoyG85
      Bronze
      Thanks alot for the responds so far, they make me feel better about it. However i must add to the value of the matter, these autopilot sessions im talking about, i am playing really really bad. In those sessions when people go for fat value, i can be the guy calling down with top pair shit kicker.

So basically even for "just" proper-ish ABC poker, i need to be focused and think about whats going on.
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      cut down on the number of tables and force yourself to focus.

there really is no other way.

and smack yourself in the head when you catch yourself auto-piloting, quit the session, do a review and start a new session a bit later.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by elhh82
      cut down on the number of tables and force yourself to focus.

there really is no other way.

and smack yourself in the head when you catch yourself auto-piloting, quit the session, do a review and start a new session a bit later.
      if i cut down anymore, i would be playing half a table. :D
      and i do actually smack myself in the head. :s_o:
      btw, nice sig :D
    • roswellx
      roswellx
      Bronze
      I still have the fancy play syndrome. I moved up to NL25 this month and I was 4 tabling at first which caused me to play fancy. I'm over-focused and do stupid moves... I 10 table and try to fix my leaks when I 10 table :) ). To be able to 10 table I just grind the current stakes until I'm really confident. I'll move up NL50 when I have 2.5k... Maybe you should do some sweat sessions and take a break..
    • ShadowOfLight1337
      ShadowOfLight1337
      Bronze
      Usually when I play 1 table FR, I fall asleep easily so I make marginal plays. And this is why I usually autopilot with ~8 tables playing my A tight game, where you don't get bored as easily waiting for the goods. Analyse a hand you're not sure about after the session.