Elephant

• blankcheque
      blankcheque
      Bronze
      I tried to download Elephant which went fine until i launched the installation wizard, it came back with the message PDM Generic Trojan. My internet security instantly quarantined it. Can someone responsible for this software look into it and let me know the outcome? I used the download link for the software from pokerstrategy website. ?
  • 13 replies
    • MichaelWagner42
      MichaelWagner42
      Bronze
      Hi,

Which internet security suite are you using? Try downloading the latest developer version from the Elephant blog (http://www.elephant.pokerstrategy.com) and update your security suite to the latest version.

Does this help?
      Ciao
      Michael
    • blankcheque
      blankcheque
      Bronze
      Hi, sorry i dont speak German. I use Kaspersky Internet 2010 version. It has never let me down yet and does not give false reports.
    • MichaelWagner42
      MichaelWagner42
      Bronze
      Hi,

Just try the latest 0.75 version: http://elephant.pokerstrategy.com/ (sorry, there were some www too much in the above link)

Does that help?
      Ciao
      Michael
    • blankcheque
      blankcheque
      Bronze
      Are you one of the programmers of Elephant? Do you work for Pokerstrategy? I have no idea who you are, can you tell me? Why should i download a Trojan virus on to my pc?
    • eteris
      eteris
      Silver
      Elephant developers should scan their computers for viruses ;]
    • PS.Markus
      PS.Markus
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'm the lead of the software development group at PokerStrategy.com and thus responsible for the development of the PokerStrategy.com Elephant.

Michael is on my team and his word is as good as mine on this matter.

First of all, all our development machines are equipped with up to date virus scanners (ESET NOD32, updates are applied mutliple times daily).
      We use the latest PokerStrategy.com Elephant releases ourselves as do may others. So it's highly unlikely that our software contains any viruses.

Nonetheless we take such reports seriously.

So which version is generating the report?
      Where did you download it (please supply exact url)?
      Which file exactly is causing the report (the installation consists of multiple files)?
      The latest developer release (0.75) is available via the official PokerStrategy.com Elephant blog as Michael already mentioned. The blog is in English. Does version 0.75 trigger a report as well?

Cheers,
      M.
    • blankcheque
      blankcheque
      Bronze
      Hi there, In the pokerstrategy homepage i clicked on rewards, scrolled down to where it says download for free. I clicked that link to download.
      Kaspersky Internet reports the following files as containing PDM Trojan Generic:-

setup.exe
      SETUP_ELEPHANT-0.69.TMP
      SETUP_ELEPHANT-0.69.EXE

I hope this is the information that you required to look into it. I have not tried downloading the software since but if i do i will let you know the outcome.
      Thank you for getting in touch,

Best regards Darren (blankcheque).
    • PS.Markus
      PS.Markus
      Bronze
      Hi,

I could not exactly retrace your steps (I think it's "Home" -> "Rewards System" -> "Find out more" in "Earn rewards" -> Link at the bottom "Download PokerStrategy.com's Elephant free of charge" -> Download button).

The correct url for the setup is:
      http://static.pokerstrategy.com/software/9/download/setup_elephant-0.69.exe

This file does not generate any reports on my ESET test installation.

Nonetheless, this version is the last one which uses InnoSetup as setup engine and I found some reports on InnoSetup setups generating false positives.

Since our current developer versions will supersede the 0.69 version and already are more advanced in terms of stability and performance, I would suggest to use the latest developer version found here:
      http://elephant.pokerstrategy.com/categories/Sprint_Updates

Direct link:
      http://resources.pokerstrategy.com/Software/el3phant/DevBuilds/setup-elephant-0.75.555.1238.exe

The developer versions use InstallShield and thus should not generate a report anymore. I'd appreciate it if you indeed could verify this, as it'll still take some time and effort to setup a Kaspersky test environment.

Cheers,
      M.
    • blankcheque
      blankcheque
      Bronze
      Hi there,
      I can report that the version that you recommend in the direct link you provided installed successfully on my pc, i did not get any error or trojan messages. However when it comes to creating a database whatever i enter as a password does not work and therefore i cannot use the software. Any help you can provide on this matter would be appreciated.

Best regards, blankcheque.
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      Default username is postgres and default password is dbpass. You may have changed it during the install though..
    • blankcheque
      blankcheque
      Bronze
      Hi I have entered postgres and dbpass but it did not work. I have also tried postgress
    • blankcheque
      blankcheque
      Bronze
      I am pleased to say that i have been able to install Elephant 0.75 version without any error or trojan messages. I cannot use the software though as it will not create a database. It doesnt matter what username i have entered or password. I have tried to read some forum posts to find the answer and people have suggested postgres; postgress for the username and dbpass for the password but none of this works. Do you have any help and sussestions. Thank you
    • MichaelWagner42
      MichaelWagner42
      Bronze
      Hi,

The question here is: Who has installed postgres? Was it the elephant at first start? Then you simply enter the user name and password you set in the dialog that told you, that postgres is about to be installed.

If postgres was already on your system, you have to enter the user name and password of the postgres superuser. This data was entered by you when installing postgres.

In case you don't know any of them, you may deinstall postgress completely: Deinstalling PostgreSQL correctly

Ciao
      Michael