poker Read

• 4 replies
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hello DusanBanik,

There is an article in the strategy section covering Basic Handreading that be a good place to start.

Allow it is in the Fixed Limit section i think it is applicable across all disciplines.

Kind Regards,
      -Steve
    • cryoburn
      cryoburn
      Silver
      Wow what you're asking is actually the Fundamental Theorem of Poker.
      Of course that if you know your opponents' holdings you'll be able to make the better move.

The most simple way and that you learn unconsciously is through experience.

Another way is to get get past the level one of thinking of poker. And that means really paying attention to everything at the table. And stop just folding 72o and raising QQ and 3betting AK because you're supposed to.
      What I am trying to say is that you have to actually study the game and think hard about it. About the WHYs. That's important.

But probably the best way to start is to study "hand ranges" and "combinatorics" as well as equities such as pot equity and fold equity.
      I know there are videos here at pokerstrategy that cover some of that subjects. At least equity and hand ranges are covered. Then there are some great books on the subject. But it all works if you start thinking about it all. It works if you begin asking why.

Hand reading is based on information you gather from the opponent and it develops in each hand through all streets. For instance, if you're playing NL 6-max and a player in UTG raises you should give him a range of possible hands to raise in that spot (through stats, reads or starting by thinking in a more simple and standard PFR range if the opponent is unknown). Then he cbets so you have to be aware of his Flop Cbet% and the board texture. And you start narrowing down his range and reassessing your hand every street.

It's all very complicated to explain in a video much less in a post. There are of stuff out there on the matter. But I recommend you start viewing some pokerstrategy videos and doing some homework.
    • DusanBanik
      DusanBanik
      Bronze
      Wow that is pretty good.

I think it is really though because almost every decent player cbet after flop.
      if he hits set or top pair or even nothing.

Best way i think is to reraise almost always :) . Since it is about 64% of flops that do not even hit you and your opponets is assuming the same ;) that's why he cbet you ;)
      And after cbet your opponent can have almost anything so you can put him from all pairs to AT+, suited connectors ;) and maybe some weird hands. And that is just to wide i think ;) .

Thank you
    • cryoburn
      cryoburn
      Silver
      Well that's not entirely true.

Most of the people with a very high cbet% probably have just learned that 'move' and/or they don't even think about WHY they're cbetting. And I've seen a good amount of players with as low as 30% of flop cbet.
      And besides a lot of fish are just loose passive with very high WTSD so raising a flop cbet most of the time isn't adequate.

You're response to a cbet while IP should be adaptive to the opponent (stats and reads), position and stack sizes. You shouldn't be raising flop cbets all the time with air (e.g. AK on a 9 high board). Some mportant stats to take into consideration in that spot are VPIP/PFR, Flop Cbet%, Fold Flop Cbet vs Raise %, AF, WTSD.

And based on your opponents' actions you should narrow his range along the following streets.
      You have to ask yourself:
      - is this opponent likely to float my cbet?
      - does he cbet everytime an ace comes on the flop?
      - is he likely to cbet air on flop and give up on turn?
      - is he likely to fold to a 2nd barrel because he has an under pp?
      - does he bet/raise on a good draw (FD, OESD)?
      - he called my flop cbet, so his range now should be (for instance) TP, 2nd pair, draws, slowplayed set, pocket pair...
      - he has very high WTSD so is my TPTK good?

These are a couple of examples on what you should think of when trying to put opponents on certain ranges.