[NL2-NL10] 4NL JJ against 3bet that I have info about

• BattleHunter
      BattleHunter
      Coach
      Coach
      Cake Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.04 BB (6 handed) - Cake-Poker Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

BB ($7.24)
      UTG ($3.88)
      Hero (MP) ($4)
      CO ($4.95)
      Button ($3.98)
      SB ($6.13)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J, J
      1 fold, Hero bets $0.16, CO raises to $0.56, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.18) A, 5, 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.71, CO raises to $4.39 (All-In), Hero folds

Total pot: $2.60 | Rake: $0.17

[COLOR=#EAEAEA]Results below:
      CO didn't show
      Outcome: CO won $2.43[/color]

I'm mainly concerned about the preflop play, the flop itself is an easy fold, because that A will hit his 3bet range easy, but I thought I could scare him off the board because of the clubs.

I play in cake, so no stats, but I had some reads on him - he came on the table with a limp instead of wait BB. I had TT as UTG +1 (MP2 real position) and made a 5BB bet, because I saw him as dead money. He was MP3 and 3bets me. Since he's unknown and TT is at best a coin flip against the standard 3bet range I decide to safely fold, but take it as a note if he keeps doing it.

So now he does it again. Is call a correct play? I kinda think he wouldn't 3bet me with a pocket pair worse than TT, and his 3 bet range should at least have 1 strong card in it, which pretty much means if there are no overcards to my JJ I'm mostly ahead on the flop. With that thinking I decide to call his 3bet.

Any comments? Better ways to play the hand? Could he have legit hands both times? Beside 3betting me he played rather passive, so something was definitely wrong.
  • 3 replies
    • Termis
      Termis
      Bronze
      Preflop: It's a good call if you see CO more of a LAG style player. Also if you were very aggressive at the table he could even make a move with a hand like AQ.

Flop: I would bet bigger. I think your bet is fine, but I feel this tendency, that if you don't bet big in low limits, they don't take you serious. So I would lead with the ~0.9$ bet. It should be easy to fold for him all nonspade QQ KK. His push means he's got something. Either AxKs,AxQs,QxQs,KxKs or he's protecting his AxKx, AxQx hand.
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Hi,

Try to avoid calling 3bets OOP. If CO is 3betting loose enough to call, you can just 4bet and get it in. Also remember that it's possible for ppl to get two good hands in a row, so there's no need to start adjusting instantly.

Flop: Check. CO is not calling with many worse hands - and probably not folding better hands for one bet. Don't need to protect since he has very few K, Q :spade: draws that don't also have a better made hand, and will likely bet them himself.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by johnbeattie85
      Hi,

Try to avoid calling 3bets OOP. If CO is 3betting loose enough to call, you can just 4bet and get it in. Also remember that it's possible for ppl to get two good hands in a row, so there's no need to start adjusting instantly.

Flop: Check. CO is not calling with many worse hands - and probably not folding better hands for one bet. Don't need to protect since he has very few K, Q :spade: draws that don't also have a better made hand, and will likely bet them himself.
      : )