[NL2-NL10] NL10 AQo 3betting vs button open raise (TAG)

• RoyG85
      RoyG85
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $10.35
      BU:
      $14.51

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:diamond: , Q:heart:
      2 folds, BU raises to $0.30, Hero raises to $0.90, BB folds, BU calls $0.60.

Flop: ($1.90) 2:club: , Q:spade: , 8:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.20, BU calls $1.20.

Turn: ($4.30) K:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.00, BU raises to $8.25, Hero folds, BU gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $8.30

Fold offcourse is normal but im wondering if i should really bet this turn, my conclusion is no after the hand, caus this Kc improves his flop calling range a lot. But still i choose to protect/block bet my hand with a mediocre bet, this wrong? In the end i think i really should not have bet this turn.
  • 4 replies
    • RoyG85
      RoyG85
      Bronze
      upup
    • Renmerb
      Renmerb
      Bronze
      Just my opinion, so you can take it or leave it.

I think you should be 3 betting to $1.20 preflop, AQo is horrible hand to play OOP, so should be happy to pick up the pot there and then.

If he calls, I feel you have to bet bigger here, around a 3/4 to a pot bet. Have to protect against the flush draw, and get value for your TPTK.

I feel your turn bet invites the re-raise, it just looks week. It is a horrible turn card, but I think if you check or bet small here the BU will bet to make you fold. I think a bet in the region of $3.20 would be better, then if re-raised I think you can fold knowing your beat.
    • RoyG85
      RoyG85
      Bronze
      I dont think vs this TAG it would matter how much my preflop 3bet would be, eventho i could be wrong. What your saying definately makes sense tho, and thanks for you reply.

I figured either hes got something and he will call, or hes just late possition steal raising and will fold to a 3bet, it being 3x or 4x his bet.

Then after he called my flop bet, which maybe shud have been a little bigger like 3/4 instead of 2/3 to protect, but i wouldnt consider that bet weak yet. I am definately positive seeing what he did preflop and on the flop, that he will not let go of his on this turn regardless of my bet, i think he already made his set, 2pair, or possible flush.

In the end tho, i still prefer to take the line you just said than what i did myself in the hand. Caus my preflop 3bet can look like a re-steal, and my turn bet definately can invite any action. So i got myself in a really nasty OOP spot here, there are so many hands that got me crushed, and i showed weakness in betting pattern.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by Renmerb
      Just my opinion, so you can take it or leave it.

I think you should be 3 betting to $1.20 preflop, AQo is horrible hand to play OOP, so should be happy to pick up the pot there and then.

If he calls, I feel you have to bet bigger here, around a 3/4 to a pot bet. Have to protect against the flush draw, and get value for your TPTK.

I feel your turn bet invites the re-raise, it just looks week. It is a horrible turn card, but I think if you check or bet small here the BU will bet to make you fold. I think a bet in the region of $3.20 would be better, then if re-raised I think you can fold knowing your beat.
      I agree on the preflop bet sizing, being out of position with a drawing hand it's usually better to make it more than 3x, it discourages BU to peel light and mess with us in position, it also sets up better stack/pot ratios for later streets.

On the flop we're not that afraid of flushdraws, most of BU's range should be a few Qx and some pocket pairs / 8x that might not believe us on such a board, so i don't mind betting less than 3/4 to get them to peel a tad lighter.

I also agree that the turn bet looks weak, even tho it'd be unusual for a 16/14 at nl10 to go out of his way and turn some 8x/pocket pair into a bluff-shove at that point, so it's not as bad as it would be at small stakes. If you're not sure what to do after checking it's in general better to bet, however i expect that guy to check behind the hands that we beat on that card, so i wouldn't mind check/folding the turn and making a small "hey i'm bluffing" valuebet on a non club river if he checks behind the turn.

Hope it helps.