The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

Hero (SB): $35.98
      BB: $27.66
      UTG: $25.30
      MP: $4.60
      CO: $65.22
      BTN: $29.35

Pre Flop: ($0.40) Hero is SB with 9:club: 9:heart:
      UTG raises to $0.80, 3 folds, Hero raises to $2.65, 1 fold, UTG calls $1.85

Flop: ($5.55) K:diamond: Q:spade: T:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG bets $3.15, Hero folds

Villain

Hands 125, vpip 17, pfr 16, AF 9, fold to 3bet 60

I usually cbet every time in heads-up pots but this time it didn't feel right. There really isn't much I can make fold here. Every big ace will either call or raise this board. There are only 88, 77 (and smaller pairs, but I doubt he will call them pf) which could fold here.

Is this correct check/fold?
  • 4 replies
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Vs. a UTG raising range from such a player I'm folding pocket 9's in the SB. We're only going to be good against his range when we flop a set which doesn't happen too often.

Fold > Call > 3bet, IMO. The 3bet sucks on so many levels in such a situation.
    • elena90
      elena90
      Platinum
      I think you are right that my 3bet isn't too good here. We are 100 bb deep and by calling I could create a multiway pot if the BB calls. In retrospect I think calling would have been the best option, but I would never fold in this spot though...
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      My standard line is usually call pf, but if player is opening 16 % of hands pf, then you can also 3-bet, since that case you take initiative and it is easier to play postflop.
      c/f is ok that board. I´d likely take one stab, since players like to call ip pp-s and most of them would fold if you bet 1/2 pot
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kaitz20
      My standard line is usually call pf, but if player is opening 16 % of hands pf, then you can also 3-bet, since that case you take initiative and it is easier to play postflop.
      WHAT?
      Why would you ever 3bet a UTG open from a tight tag in 6max while you're in the SB with a hand like 99. Players at this limit are not thinking heavily enough to realize that you 3bet them from the worst position at the table (sb), where as they opened from the second worse position (utg), making your percieved range a lot nittier than it really is. If a 35/30 opened UTG and a 60/2 flatted in front of us than a 3bet squeeze is justifiable, but not against an open from a 17/16.

This player isn't going to be opening 22-88 as much as he is opening AJ+ and KQ type hands and players at these limits do not understand how poorly some of these hands play postflop in 3bet pots, which will in turn give them the thought that they can't fold these hands to a 3bet because they are in position and have high cards that look all pretty and connected/suited.

Calling might be okay but 3betting doesn't make pocket 9's easier to play with initiative vs. such a player, when we're up against a range that mainly has us crushed.

So like I said before, Fold > Call > Raise.