[NL2-NL10] 88 aka trips*vs*flush*vs*straight

• mata123
      Actually versus the posibility of flush or straight :f_biggrin:
      Known players:

0,01/0,02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 8:diamond: , 8:club:
      UTG2 folds, Hero calls $0,02, 4 folds, SB raises to $0,08, BB folds, Hero calls $0,06.

Flop: ($0,18) 8:heart: , 6:heart: , J:club: (2 players)
      SB bets $0,13, Hero calls $0,13.

Turn: ($0,44) 7:heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $0,44, Hero calls $0,44.

River: ($1,32) T:spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0,66, SB calls $0,66.

Final Pot: $2,64

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows three of a kind, eights (8d 8c)
      SB shows a pair of kings (Kd Kh)

Hero wins with three of a kind, eights (8d 8c)

ugly hand here...think i should have played it a bit differently,being on the defensive is not my thing...reraise the flop?
  • 4 replies
    • SheepMoose
      Why bet river with 4 to a straight and 3 to a flush out there? Sure you got value from what he had but you're generally value towning yourself against better.
    • mata123
      i was betting the river because he didn't :f_biggrin: , my line was,if he had flush or straight he would have bet ,to a reraise i will fold on that board
    • Adapter1337
      I think at least flop raise is nessesary. Only hand what can beat you here is JJ and by every other hand you must make expencive to look another draw card.
      Not sure about turn raise... i think call is also good. But whit set you must get so much money as possible to pot in flop. Straight and flush draws have outs, but you must make expencive to see it. When they pay over they pot odds then that was good play for you and even they hit the draw, then you didnt make mistake, they did, they just had little luck this time.
      But river must be check, here so much draws what can be completed. Also TT. In this limit htey often wait in river that you bet. They like to check-raise in river when have nuts. Its riski to bet here. Must get more money in pot early.
      My opinion.
    • MaestroOfZerg

Clearly value raise the flop on that texture, if you think about it about half the deck is a bad card for you on the turn.

As played I wouldn't take out small flushes and straights out of his river range entirely when he checks, those hands usually start to get scare that they're no good at that point and will often check/call. He may even have randomly decided to check/jam on you, which would suck. So while you can still get value out of QJ+, it's probably safer to check that back.

Hope it helps.