$9.16
      BU:
      $46.42
      SB:
      $6.37
      BB (Hero):
      $10.00

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, J.
      5 folds, BU raises to $0.35, SB folds, Hero calls $0.25.

Flop: ($0.75) 8, J, 6 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.75, Hero raises to $2.00, BU calls $1.25.

Turn: ($4.75) 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.50, BU raises to $12.25, Hero calls $5.15(All-In).

River: ($24.65) 7 (2 players)

Final Pot: $24.65.

Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of jacks(As Js).
      BU shows a pair of aces(Ah Ac).

BU wins with a pair of aces(Ah Ac).

Hindsight:
      I thought it was a blind steal at first. What I should've done is 3bet/fold. After the flop i had him on AQ or AK, so after my turn bet, I committed myself.

I gotta stop watching highstakes poker before my session and feeling like a champ.
  • 3 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

That's not a flop a tag will usually fire a c-bet on at nl10 unless he has a strong piece of it, especially a potsize c-bet. So i think check/raising really over-represent your hand to the point where he'll be able to fold all worse hands by the turn, which is not good. I'd rather just check/call and take it from there.

Hope it helps.
    • woopstash
      woopstash
      Bronze
      Just so I know what I'm looking for next time, what is is about the board that a tag wouldn't fire a pot size c-bet? The heavy flush and straight draws?

Lets say I check call the flop. Then what? Just try and see a cheap showdown?
      If he fires another pot size turn bet, the pots lying at around $4. If i decide to call, then the pot will be around $6, leaving me $4 behind There's a very good chance that I'm not going to see a cheap showdown, which is sort of why I raised the flop to see where I stood.

If it seems like I'm questioning your judgment I'm not ;) . I'm just trying to figure out how to play in these marginal situations that I'm finding myself in more and more.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

It's a flop that hits a flatting range better than a raising range in general, and it's quite drawy overall, so anyone with a willingness to play back will find an excuse not to fold. That means it's not a prime spot to go ahead and fire a c-bet at all, especially for full pot. Tags c-betting full pot there will either have not much of a clue what they're doing, or they have a hand strong enough that they want to protect it by betting big.

That doesn't mean AJ is no good so we're not folding, and if it is good, the best way to get rid of hands we still beat is probably to go ahead and check/raise. It looks super strong and will usually result in most tags just dumping Jx either on the flop or on most turns, at the costly price of having him jam two pairs/sets and possibly some draws on us. Not a really good idea overall.

When you check/call you don't scare away Jx, they can put you on a draw and continue to "protect" against you on the turn unless it's an ugly card. Even if they don't bet the turn they'll usually still call off a decent river bet. If they bet the turn and you call, sometimes the river can be tricky if they have it in them to bluff shove some busted draws, but usually they won't and they're also rarely good enough to try and valuebet again worse Jx, so you can mostly fold if they make it big and likely throw in a call if it's cheap.

Hope it helps.