So here we go... Yet another poker blog!

• 4 replies
    • MrMardyBum
      Hi EmanuelC16,

I'm going to start by saying that at NL2 you will never clear that bonus (probably) and you should either deposit and play according to the strategy or just let it go!

It's far more important to worry about why you are losing chips in the first place than increasing volume to clear a bonus. There is always other poker rooms with bigger better bonuses that you can explore later when you have built up a decent bankroll you will find very easy to clear just playing normal day to day poker.

I suggest you focus on learning as much as you do on playing as you are a new player. So if you play one hour of poker you should read the articles and review your hands for at least one hour. This may not seem like fun, but ask anyone and they will tell you that playing poker without first learning about correctly will also end in the land of the busted, and it's in that land we find all the excuses we can to justify why we no longer have a bankroll.

At micro limits you need to be very sure what you are doing with your hands, and what position you are in. Also get a free trial of Elephant, Hold Em Manager or Poker Tracker 3 this will not only help you analize your own play but also the other peoples, look over all your hands and review what you could of done differently.

I hope this help, Good luck at the tables and in life.
    • EmanuelC16
      Usually, before I start playing I review some of the articles and videos I've already watched. I don't mind studying at all. It's just very discouraging though, when I see hands like this one:

Hand converted with online hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      BU (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BU with J, J.
      6 folds, Hero raises to $0.07, SB folds, BB calls $0.05.

Flop: ($0.15) 3, 2, 5 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.15, BB calls $0.15.

Turn: ($0.45) A (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($0.45) J (2 players)
      BB bets $0.22, Hero calls $0.22.

Final Pot: $0.89.
      Results follow:

BB shows a straight, five high(T 4).
      Hero shows three of a kind, jacks(J J).

BB wins with a straight, five high(T 4).

This guy almost sucked out on AA vs 63s all in preflop from him against me. Also, in another hand there was a raise, he reraised all in with J7s got called from AA and guess what? Aces cracked! I think he was something like 4:1 underdog in all cases, yet won 2/3.

If I can't clear it, should I start studying for and playing 1$+0.20$ SNG's? Will I have a better chance there? I just can't make a decent deposit right now. I'm thinking of maybe playing some Freerolls.

Do you think that by taking a break from playing, studying seriously a few days, reviewing hands like that one and then playing NL5, with the correct BR, of course, I have a better chance of winning and improving my game? I mean, at NL2 I just see all-ins preflop with 66, 89s, KTo with a stack of 1.5$ and other crazy stuff like that. I'm just getting more and more confused every day I play.

Is it more suitabel for a beginner to play SNG's rather then BSS? I think these would me my 2 options:

1. Review all BSS articles, hands where I lost the most, play some freerolls, start fresh next week.

2.Read SNG strategy articles, review hands, start fresh next week.

LE: I forgot to mention: I didn't try to steal blinds at that table. I just made standard plays. So the ideea that he thought I had air just isn't plausible.
    • MrMardyBum
      I think you should try looking at the hands you have won as well and pasting them here... I'm sure you have probably sucked out as well.

NL2 is a playground of idiots and going to NL5 won't improve much infact the quality of play won't improve until at least NL25 from my own experience.

If you think you would be more comfortable playing SnG's then try it. But don't step out of BRM to do so. It's a hard path playing poker and you have to not let your opponents tilt you even if they are cracking your aces and I can tell by your posts that they are affecting you... Take a few days off settle your head and enter the game with the frame of mind that you are not going to get upset no matter what.

Also, you say he didn't think you were blind stealing? He probably did, at that level no one really takes much notice of what other people are doing because a lot of them actually I would hazard a guess that 95% don't really know what they are doing and are not following any kind of startegy. Also, when I had a bad day at the tables I would go to NL2 just to blow off some steam chucking my stack all in for a release of I dunno really but it made me feel better.

So it's a long hard grind through the micro's and don't become disheartened when you lose, most poker players will experience a massive loss at some point and I lot will have also busted.

Do you post your hands in the hand review section? I don't really play the BSS as much as I used to and feel my advice on certain hands maybe slightly off, but the hand coaches there will definitely help you see what you are doing right and wrong. :)

That being said.... Your first raise should of been 0.08c not 0.07... And you should of bet the turn also as this may of given you a better read if he has raised you here.

Good luck hope things work out for you. I'll pop back and check your progress later :)
    • EmanuelC16
      Ok! Thanks for the advice! I honeslty do feel more comfortable at SNG at even more comfortable at MTT. I'll give them a try. It's just that MTT's las for hours with only 5 minutes break. I don't have time to play more than 1 MTT or a few SNG's a day. Like I said and you also suggested it's best I "start" with a break to clear my head and review my game.

I'll be back with more posts next week. And no, I haven't posted hands in the hand review section. Will do from now on.

Cheers and good luck at the tables!