[NL2-NL10] Nl 10 SH KK

• dashe
      dashe
      Bronze
      The more I think about this hand the more confused I get.
      ok, at first glance I think I made a mistake and should have folded on Flop, right ? but then when I look at it, he called 3bet flop, ok thats something like ak, big pocketss.. then I would be way behind against set of QQ JJ, and AA only.
      But then I only had to call $5 to win $20 againt his flush and/or gutshot straight draws.
      So what should have I done ?
      Am I really beat here on a flop after he pushes ?
      I think opponent done a smart, tricky move by calling 3-bet with his card,
      or not ? how exploitable is that ? or is it still better to do standard push
      pf with his hand, knowing that he will force a lot hands to fold to 4-bet ?
      Thanks!

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      BB (Hero):
      $10.00
      MP2:
      $7.00
      MP3:
      $10.55
      CO:
      $10.50
      BU:
      $6.60
      SB:
      $18.20

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, K.
      MP2 calls $0.10, MP3 raises to $0.50, 3 folds, Hero raises to $1.70, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $1.20.

Flop: ($3.55) 2, J, Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.00, MP3 raises to $8.85, Hero calls $5.30.

Turn: ($20.7) 7 (2 players)

River: ($20.7) 4 (2 players)

Final Pot: $20.7.

Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of kings(Kh Ks).
      MP3 shows a pair of aces(Ad Ac).

MP3 wins with a pair of aces(Ad Ac).
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Unfortunate spot but you can't bet/fold without better reads, some players will show you AQ and some draws they feel they're committed to playing back with. You don't have to c-bet so huge tho, especially if you're thinking that your hand isn't good often.

As for villain's play it's situational, but it's certainly not exploitable at nl10, or at least there will be nobody there to exploit it. The only way it impairs his game is that it makes his 4-betting range weaker, which you can only exploit if he actually has a 4-betting range (at all? maybe he just flats everything) that is wide enough for you to profitably 5-bet jam lighter over it. This is useful information once you start running into tags that will actually 4-bet bluff, because that means you're very rarely up against KK+ since they only flats with them, so you can feel great playing 99+/AK for stacks. At nl10 tho, i doubt there is much of that going on so changing your 5-betting range won't have much impact.

Just make a note on his play and keep in mind for the future that he can show up with big pairs in these spots postflop.

Hope it helps.