[NL20-NL50] NL25 Rush AKs

• robpettitt
      Hi there,

This is my first hand evaluation request and I am hoping to fix a leak in my game, playing AKs (or off really but this one is suited specific).

I have just moved up to NL25 having been profitable at NL10 and reached the right BR to move up. I am playing Rush of Full Tilt so no history or reads. My first impressions are that the opposition is markedly tougher with much more aggression for example 3bets preflop and raising cbets on the flop.

Anyway here's the hand:

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      CO (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is CO with A, K.
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 raises to $0.85, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.85, MP3 folds, Hero calls $0.85, BU calls $0.85, 2 folds.

Flop: ($3.75) J, 5, 3 (4 players)
      UTG2 checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets $2.50, BU calls $2.50, UTG2 folds, MP2 folds.

Turn: ($8.75) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $4.50, Hero calls $4.50.

River: ($17.75) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $12.00, Hero calls $12.00.

Final Pot: $41.75.
      Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, kings and fives(A K).
      BU shows a full-house, threes full of fives(3 3).

BU wins with a full-house, threes full of fives(3 3).

My own thoughts are that I made big mistakes preflop and on the river. Preflop I should have 3bet to either take it down or isolate the original raiser with position. The villain behind me would not be getting his set value and would be making a mistake to call.

On the flop I think I was right to bet out with 2 overcards and the nut flush draw. When I meet resistance I am cautious on the turn even hitting my K but again I think I am right to check - call.

I then make my biggest mistake check - calling on the river. My top pair top kicker can't be good after this much resistance and I should have mucked.

Anyway all feedback gratefully received!
  • 2 replies
    • Kaitz20
      3-bet is generally better pf, since then you worse out most of the small pp-s that might also call pf.
      I like how you played your hand postflop.
      Can´t really expect him having there 33, since he only called your bet on drawy board and since any draw that he could have 46, 24 and flushdraws missed I think calldown is reasonable against unknown player.
      Rush poker it is hard to fold tptk hands, since players are unknown and might take often strange lines, also he might also bet there himself for value AJ or some Kx hand, since if you only c/c turn then no-one puts you on AK
    • robpettitt
      Thanks very much. I have certainly started 3betting much more with AK and definitely in position. I agree with Rush it is harder to find a fold with tptk and perhaps the river call was not as bad as I first thought.

Now posted my next hand for evaluation, overpair v possible set ....

Thanks all at PS