Raises

• rubysilesia
      rubysilesia
      Silver
      Hi

What is the right amount of of raise in those cases:

1) When Im pretty sure that i have the best hand and dont want slow play (minraise?);
      2) Semi-bluff raise (minraise looks weak, potsize raise costs too much);
      3) When I raise to get information, I think i got best or second best hand;

Potsize raise vs 3x the pot? (in different case one can be bigger than the other)

What are your opinions?
  • 4 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi rubysilesia!

It's difficult to give an answer in general. It often depends on the number of your opponents, the style of play of your opponents, the stack sizes of the players, your stack size, the situation at the table, the board, etc. There are many factors which influence a decision at the poker table. For this reason I ask you to post some sample hands. This way we can discuss more detailed about raise sizes and which factors influence it.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • rubysilesia
      rubysilesia
      Silver
      Ur right its too complex. Ive just installed PokerGrabem and gonna send problematic hand to forum.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Sounds good! Have fun! :D

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      even though it's very complex I can tell you one thing: Staty away from minimum bets/raises unless you got a very good reason to do othervise (I have only used it once in ~6k hands so far). But good luck anyway, I'm sure you'll learn how to adjust your bets over time :)

Personally I mainly change the sizes according to the board texture, and the number of opponents (if I got a specific read on an opponent it might change it a little as well). If you cahnge the bet/raise sizes depending on your hand, you risk that some people will get to know your betting patterns too well (which again can be used against them, but thats another chapter, and much more experience is needed first).

May your pots be huge and your cards be monsters :)

Mugge